Expanding a solar reel using extra tubes?

Jun 6, 2020
Knoxville, TN
I have a 30' round AG and I am looking to add some poles from a reel tube kit to lengthen a 21' reel someone gave me so I can accommodate a 30' solar cover. Has anyone ever tried this? At first I thought that the more tubes and connections points I had would mean less stability, but after looking at the assembly instructions for the one brand of reels I've found that actually make a 30' span, I see that their kit uses 5 poles instead of the normal 3 for all other sizes. I found a discounted 3 pole kit that matches mine for just $65 so I'm just wondering if I couldn't just use that extra tube kit with the 21' reel I already have to lengthen the span. My 21' reel has three 8' tubes (3" diameter) that connect together, just like the one shown on top in the picture below. By using just 2 more tubes from another tube kit, I should be able to assemble the reel just like that shown in the second picture below to give me the extra 10' I need. This should also leave me plenty of room to fit the tubes far enough inside each other at the joints to make them strong and stable, right? (Maybe even more so, since their instructions show their kit only has 7.5' poles.) This all makes perfect sense to me IN THEORY, but I'm super curious to see if there are any other folks who have attempted this, or who may be more mechanically inclined, and could tell me if my idea may work IN PRACTICE, rather than just on paper.

Cover.JPG

I want to make sure you know, I said it "should" work.. they only way to know 100% it will work is to buy a 30 foot one... There is always a chance it may not work.. :)

Reactions: Jamie Languedoc
Make sure to get the thinnest cover you can for less weight. I had the thick cover on a 20 ft reel and the tubes did great, but the bolts that held each piece together tore the tight round bolt holes into long skinny ovals with lots of play, which made it sag.

For strength, the tube cross section is flower shaped. Like this looking from the end :flower:. You stick the two together and twist as hard as you can to make the outside edges of the flower petals jam each other tight. You then pass a bolt though it to 'lock' it in that twisted state with 10(?) Points of contact verses 2 with a round tube inside a round tube. But under weight, the bolts will rip the weak aluminum and once the bolts don't hold it twisted, you have a weak joint that flops with every turn. I drilled new holes and used thicker bolts each year. In 5 years it looked like Swiss cheese and the 3/4 bolts were still tearing the tubes.

30 ft is going to be heavy as snot, even with a thin cover. When assembling, try jamming something into the joint gaps (composit shims cut to skinny strips?) to help the bolts stop the 2 flower shaped pieces from untwisting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.