Drain brown pool water or chemicals?

italiangirl

Aug 22, 2020
upstate NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Hi, I had a large pine tree that fell over this winter and the very top of it fell into my pool. We were able to get it out but a few small branches stayed in there. The only damage was a cap on one of the uprights. we also had a return line that was leaking a bit (before we even closed it last year)So I’ve been waiting to get this fixed. Of course in two days the heat turned the green water to brown. Should I drain the pool or should I use chemicals to try to fix it. It is a 21‘54 inch above ground currently the water level is about two level 2 inches below the return.

Attachments

• IMG_4036.jpeg
    IMG_4036.jpeg
    307.3 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    714.1 KB · Views: 8
It doesn't matter when you drain it, other than trying to calculate the "shut the spigot off" moment during waking hours. IMHO, you will be saving money just using water, instead of gallons and gallons of chlorine to clean the pool. If you were in Arizona with a 60K gal. pool the answer would be different. This gives you a day or so to be proactive and order the needed chemicals for the fresh water. And, all in all, the pool will be ready to swim a lot quicker with fresh water!