Dig Day November 28!

Hotbobcool

Bronze Supporter
Oct 22, 2023
Georgia
Well, this moved quicker than expected. The permit was approved yesterday, and we dug today!

I have another thread with some plumbing designs; I'll bring everything over here.

Pool details:
18x36, 3.5-5ft waterline
18x7 sunshelf, 6"
6x10 raised spa
36' raised wall with 3 LED sheer descents

Decking/coping:
Beach Beige Porcelain Pavers
rsz_10-2cm-beach-beige-24x24-2.jpg

Tile:
Artistry in Mosaics Mirage
rsz_gm8153b3.jpg

Raised spa and wall facing:
Crossville Studios - More Nut
item_nut_12x24-alt.jpg

Pebble:
Stonescapes Mini Aqua White
aqua-white-mini.jpg

Before:
rsz_image_20231128_181624_331.jpg
After:
rsz_processed-eca47b4a-5ba1-471f-ae9f-e00d0ebddcc2-d925811d-8221-4d6d-84c1-1928315c80fd.jpg

We are bringing in 10 loads of dirt tomorrow to level it out.

Attachments

• 10-2CM-Beach-Beige-24x24-2.jpg
    10-2CM-Beach-Beige-24x24-2.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Image_20231128_181624_331.jpeg
    Image_20231128_181624_331.jpeg
    932.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Congrats on the destroyed yard !!!!!!

I had my permit for about a week and got a call at 4p that they were coming at 7a. So I knew it theoretically was possible but still got no warning.

Let the dirt/mud begin! Now run out there and measure everything! Add about 6" for the shell, steel, plaster. Measure from the bottom for the middle of the skimmer opening.
I did notice that the sunshelf measures at about 5.5 feet currently. I assume after shotcrete and plaster, it'll be around 6 feet? It is supposed to be a 7-foot shelf though. I did let the builder know, but it is after hours.
Everything else measured fine.

More pics from today:
IMG_1508.jpeg

IMG_1509.jpeg

IMG_1510.jpeg

Also, calling @HermanTX and @ajw22 over to this thread so it's all in one spot. I think I have updated the plumbing to match your suggestions, aside from 2 blowers and MD 1,2,4. Let me know!

Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 6.59.54 PM.png

That will work! They might put some stuff in there so they don't have to use as much concrete. Make sure the put "chairs" in. Those are things used to keep the rebar off the ground when the shell is shot. Some use ready made ones and some use pieces of bricks. It does not matter so long as it holds the steel up.

Reactions: Hotbobcool
I did notice that the sunshelf measures at about 5.5 feet currently. I assume after shotcrete and plaster, it'll be around 6 feet? It is supposed to be a 7-foot shelf though. I did let the builder know, but it is after hours.
Everything else measured fine.

More pics from today:
View attachment 542600

View attachment 542601

View attachment 542602

Also, calling @HermanTX and @ajw22 over to this thread so it's all in one spot. I think I have updated the plumbing to match your suggestions, aside from 2 blowers and MD 1,2,4. Let me know!

View attachment 542603
@Hotbobcool what program created this plumbing schematic? Did your PB supply or did you make this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It DOES look like there are only returns at the end of the pool and your skimmers are both at the other end. I guess the reason is for the returns to push the stuff to the skimmers. This is a new set up for me. I guess it would work but not sure I would want to sit on the shelf with the pump on. I would be worried about being pushed off the shelf LOL

Updated progress.

I'm a little frustrated. I have no way to water the pool; it's supposed to rain the next 2 days but outside of that, water isn't ran to the house yet. How big of a deal is that?
And what's the divot by the drains?

IMG_1607.jpeg
IMG_1603.jpeg
IMG_1602.jpeg
IMG_1600.jpeg

Reactions: Tax2023
If it were summer or early spring it would be a big problem due to the heat sucking all of the moisture out of the shell. This can cause the shell to crack. WIth it being cooler you might be okay with the help of the rain. Do you have a neighbor who will let you rn hoses from his house?

The hole could be a "pressure" release hole in that if there is any water under the pool it will go through the hole instead of pushing the shell of pool up.

If it were summer or early spring it would be a big problem due to the heat sucking all of the moisture out of the shell. This can cause the shell to crack. WIth it being cooler you might be okay with the help of the rain. Do you have a neighbor who will let you rn hoses from his house?

The hole could be a "pressure" release hole in that if there is any water under the pool it will go through the hole instead of pushing the shell of pool up.
Thank you. It's supposed to be in the high 50s and low 30s over the next 7-10 years, so cooler. Unfortunately, the closest neighbor is about 600 yards away.

Reactions: kimkats
Are there any engineering plans that state a retaining wall is or isn't needed?
When they added all that dirt, did they do it in small lifts and compact between each lift or dump it in all at once?
Are there any pillars attached to the pool shell to help anchor it into deeper undisturbed soil?

Are there any engineering plans that state a retaining wall is or isn't needed?
When they added all that dirt, did they do it in small lifts and compact between each lift or dump it in all at once?
Are there any pillars attached to the pool shell to help anchor it into deeper undisturbed soil?

No engineering plans. They are not required in Georgia, though I know the preference for them here.
They compacted and removed rocks between each lift.

No pillars. This was discussed as part of the design phase and there was a charge built in, if needed, but the team determined they were not necessary in their view.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support