rack04

Jul 2, 2023
Plano, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a new cartridge filter enroute to replace my DE filter and a new VS pump when it comes off backorder. I know the cartridge filter is going to have a different inlet/outlet configuration and the height of the filter fittings will change. Currently, my DE filter has a push/pull valve that allows the DE to backwash through a drain line that drains to a sewer line in the alley. The push/pull valve will be removed. I'm in the planning stage and trying to make sure my logic is sound. I have included a crude picture and sketch to show my concept. I would appreciate any advice.

1) Does including a 3-way diverter valve to connect the filter outlet to the existing drain make sense? I've never had a cartridge filter and I know you don't backwash them but knowing this is an opportunity to leverage the existing drain I thought I would use it.

2) Is adding a union on the existing pump to setup the install of the new pump make sense? Since I don't have good measurements of the new pump, I would just eyeball the height and that location would dictate the pump placement and then I would shorten/extend the suction line as needed.

1714672939960.png

Last edited:
Does including a 3-way diverter valve to connect the filter outlet to the existing drain make sense?
1000% yes. Vac to waste comes in handy at times like spring opening. Well. You don't close like those up north, but I'd be a paycheck you aren't out there diligently vacuuming every week all winter. :ROFLMAO:

Draining a few inches from a big storm is awesome too, done in minutes (like 7).
Is adding a union on the existing pump to setup the install of the new pump make sense?
Unions always make sense so you don't have to cut the equipment off down the road.

Does including a 3-way diverter valve to connect the filter outlet to the existing drain make sense?
Put the 3-way diverter between the pump and filter. If you're vacuuming to waste, you don't want that water going through your filter first.

Reactions: Newdude