Cloudy Pool after adding Algaecide BioGuard Algae All 60

MacGeng

May 3, 2023
Chantilly VA
I'm doing a Scaletec Plus treatment. My FC level is 0.5 so yesterday I added 18 oz of BioGuard Algae All 60 to prevent algae. This morning the pool is now cloudy and the water feels thick and a little sticky. Is this normal?

Do you have algae?
Chlorine is the best defense against algae breakout. A FC of 0.5 is most likely too low but it also depends on your CYA level.
FC/CYA Levels

Do you have algae?
Chlorine is the best defense against algae breakout. A FC of 0.5 is most likely too low but it also depends on your CYA level.
FC/CYA Levels
Don't think so. I added it as a preventative because I'm keeping FC below 1 to descale using Scaletec Plus. CYA is 80. Maybe 18 oz is a bit much?

Readings before I added the Algaecide

FC 0.5
PH 7.4
TA 90
CYA 80
CH 330
Borates 50
Salt 3000
Water Temp 85-87

Last edited:
You are following processes not recommended here. Cloudy water nearly always implies algae.

For how long have you been maintaining 0.5ppm FC level? With CYA at 80 ppm, FC = 0.5 is the same as zero and algae will start growing within hours. No amount of algea preventer will kill growing algea, only a sanitizer can, but you have zero sanitizer.
Since last Tuesday via Scaletec Plus direction to keep FC low, use Algaecide, and do not shock the pool.

I’m not familiar with the Scaletec product, but two weeks with low (no) FC in the heat of Summer is going to result in algae, and that’s likely what your cloudiness is.

The way I see it you have a few choices:
- Accept the algae, finish your treatment, and then complete a SLAM Process to clear the likely significant amount of algae.
- Stop the treatment, complete a SLAM Process to address the algae that has started, and then do the treatment in the fall/winter when the water temp is lower (<60 is ideal) so algae growth is much slower.
- Stop the treatment, SLAM Process, and look for another solution for the scaling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m not familiar with the Scaletec product, but two weeks with low (no) FC in the heat of Summer is going to result in algae, and that’s likely what your cloudiness is.

The way I see it you have a few choices:
- Accept the algae, finish your treatment, and then complete a SLAM Process to clear the likely significant amount of algae.
- Stop the treatment, complete a SLAM Process to address the algae that has started, and then do the treatment in the fall/winter when the water temp is lower (<60 is ideal) so algae growth is much slower.
- Stop the treatment, SLAM Process, and look for another solution for the scaling.
You're the man. Thanks for the info!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.