Chlorine Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
does the movement of water from the return jets during the pump run I can see it moving the surface water going to effect the PH rise?
If the ripples are strong enough to cause an aeration effect - yes. It has be fairly strong to do that. If you just see very small, tiny ripples or waves, probably not so much. PH tends to be a pain more in the summer, but the most common reasons for a rising pH are:
- Elevated TA (say 60 or higher)
- Aeration
- New plaster
- Someone added a chemical to make it rise

Reactions: Drd
Drd,

Pools are supposed to be fun and simple to maintain..

You've take our simple pool care process and turned it into an analytical nightmare.

It is your pool, and you should run it anyway you want, but our pool care process is all we have to offer.

If our process does not fit your needs, then I suggest that you find a pool care process that works for you.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Drd,

Pools are supposed to be fun and simple to maintain..

You've take our simple pool care process and turned it into an analytical nightmare.

It is your pool, and you should run it anyway you want, but our pool care process is all we have to offer.

If our process does not fit your needs, then I suggest that you find a pool care process that works for you.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Why is it you find it necessary to attack me! I seek information like anyone else and I'm a member on here that should be given respect too. Beleive me there is not a shortage of people that respond with very deep answers that require followup questions. I totally beleive in "keep it stupid simple" my alccolade when it comes to all instructions in user manuals I've written. So please re-evaluate your assumptions and have a good day!

Last edited:
If the ripples are strong enough to cause an aeration effect - yes. It has be fairly strong to do that. If you just see very small, tiny ripples or waves, probably not so much. PH tends to be a pain more in the summer, but the most common reasons for a rising pH are:
- Elevated TA (say 60 or higher)
- Aeration
- New plaster
- Someone added a chemical to make it rise
Only chemicals are liquid chlorine, algaecide (algae 60), non chlorime shock and Scale free; that's it! TA is very high taking a lot of acid to reduce PH for it to only bounce right back. Not sure why my TA jumped up, but it has gotten very hot out (AZ) including the water temperature is warmer and I stopped running the pump during the day since mid June due to the AC running a lot raising my electric bill (the plan I'm on). So I run the pump at night only 9pm to 5 am which I probably need to increase now.

Not sure why my TA jumped up,
In most cases it's simply due to evaporation and continuous refilling. Mine is the same way. I lived in the Glendale/Phoenix are for years and know that water is very hard and I suspect the TA slightly elevated. Much depends on the water source. This time of year we lose a lot of water to evaporation, so it's a constant struggle.

But I don't want to swim in high levels of Chlorine as you do aborb it through the skin and is a kown carcinogen. Industry standard says 1-3 ppm for residential, 3-8 ppm for commercial, above that will cause discomfort and above 10 ppm, close pool to swimmers. Now if I start out highter and end later in the day within this range, that's fine; I wouldn't swim in the early afternoon anyway.
Again this is not TFP guidelines, you are mixing information. You can manage your pool as you see fit, but dont try to explain to us how it should be.
Pool Care Basics lays out our philosophy of managing a Troublefree pool.

This is the best explanation I have come across on what the actual interaction is between CYA and HOCI (aka chlorine) regarding how it actually bonds to become socyanurates which is stablized keeping UV from burning it off, then releases it back as HOCI the active form of chlorine (FC) when sanitizing is needed. This doesn't support the logic to me that CYA plays into the safe levels of FC where you can ignore recommended safety limits because your testing for levels of HOCI (FC) after it's been released back into the water by CYA. So that would means you pay should pay attention to the FC levels for swimming safey limits.

This is the part I was always missing.
To recap, chlorine in water forms HOCl, which quickly binds to CYA to form chlorinated isocyanurates that are resistant to sunlight degradation. HOCl is released from CYA when a contaminant needs to be killed or oxidized. This is the essence of chlorine stabilization.

Again this is not TFP guidelines, you are mixing information. You can manage your pool as you see fit, but dont try to explain to us how it should be.
Pool Care Basics lays out our philosophy of managing a Troublefree pool.
Exactly what am I mixing up, pool mainteance is universally basic. The only things I've seen a bit different here is the approach or method of getting rid of alage referred to as the slam. I still question the logic on the limits of FC you can swim in and I should want to feel comfortable with it if I am going to have other people exposed to it in my pool. I can't help that explanations given sometimes make the question more complicaed then intented. Right now, I am going to go get some chlorine and slam the heck out of my pool and see what happens.

HOCI (FC)
FC does not measure HOCl. FC is made up of HOCl, OCI-, HOCI+ OCl- and Cl-CYA.

The Cl-CYA curve (blue line) is the amount of chlorine "bound" to CYA, and it is not immediately available for disinfection or oxidation (but is available "in reserve" as HOCl gets used up).

The actual HOCl, red line, in the water is a % of FC, and vary with CYA in the pool.

1719518484900.png

pool mainteance is universally basic.
Not correct. You have preconceptions of pool care, which we highly suggest you delete from your CPU. TFP methods are unique and you will highly question them as a newbie(on this forum). Which we dont mind as long as you are open minded and welcome change. There have been many other down this road, including myself. As said before dont be too analytical, you can do that later. We want to get your pool straight fast and inexpensive. That is if you let us.
I still question the logic on the limits of FC you can swim in and I should want to feel comfortable with it if I am going to have other people exposed to it in my pool.
There are 400,000 swimming in TFP now.
Right now, I am going to go get some chlorine and slam the heck out of my pool and see what happens.
Good for you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.