Columbus, Ga
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Have ordered a aquacal SQ225 heater, 8-10 wks out. Do I have to have a check valve between the chlorinator and the heater. Planning the plumbing. Never heard of this and just ran across a post on Facebook.

While what Marty said is scientifically correct, many heater Installation Manuals specify a check valve regardless of the type of chlorinator. You need to decide if you want to follow their instructions exactly for warranty purposes.

Also do I need to install a 5 lb. spring check valve before the heater. We already planned to have a way to close the line off from heater if needed.

Also do I need to install a 5 lb. spring check valve before the heater. We already planned to have a way to close the line off from heater if needed.

Do you have the Installation Manual to reference?

Are you asking about a 5lb check valve or bypass valve? Heaters have maximum flow limitations and some have a bypass valve installed to prevent flow rates past its maximum.

The manual does mention 5 lb Bypass Valve Kit (Kit STK0135). Not sure if this is also called a check valve. We have a single speed pump, unsure what the pressure is or will be. Would you think the pump would push out higher then 70GPM. Thanks for your help!

Trouble free pool is the way to go!!

A bypass valve is different then a check valve.

A check valve stops water flow in one direction.

The bypass valve opens when water pressure exceeds the spring value.

Reactions: Kimmmg2003
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.