Oct 2, 2023
Stockton, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Newbie here...

Black algae is my worst enemy lol...we have spent hundreds on treatments from the pool store. We have a pool guy that I am ready to get rid of because with him and us buying treatments, we still have NOT gotten rid of this black algae. We have gotten close to it but we missed a weekend of cleaning and BOOM it was back with a vengeance. We have shocked it and used an algaecide and scrubbed and scrubbed and cleaned filters and omg...my husband and I are ready to make it a huge garden. I am so done with pool stores and their remedies that dont work and Im sick of paying a guy to just test my water and add chemicals when I can do that. Help! Anyone have any miracles for this algae that I cant get rid of!?!? Thanks all for your help in advance :)
We have an inground pool, about 20,000 gallons, Hayward pump, Robert is our sweeper, and a frog who holds water because chlorine tabs dissolve quick =D

Welcome to TFP!!!

Here is our Black Algae guide...you can do this...!!!

How are you testing your chemistry? Do you have your own test kit? Can you post a full set of results from your test kit? pH, FC, CC, CYA, CH, TA. This would help us help you...

If you have been exclusively using TABS to chlorinate, it may be that your CYA is very high and you cannot keep enough FC in the water to sanitize the pool, and certainly can't keep enough to clear black algae.

If you don't have a test kit, order one today...you will need it to clear black algae. Link-->Test Kits Compared

Last edited:
Reactions: newdude and mgtfp
I am so done with pool stores and their remedies that dont work and Im sick of paying a guy to just test my water and add chemicals when I can do that. Help!

That's exactly what TFP is all about. You can do this. Without pool store or service. With our help.

The single best pool related investment you will ever do is to buy one of the test kits from the link that kul posted. They may look expensive at first sight, but being independent from pool store testing (or useless strips) is key. The only reason why stores offer "free" testing is to their customers "evidence" why they need to buy their outrageously overpriced and mostly useless potions. Just one saved trip to the pool store will pay for the kit.

Then you will need PoolMath, so you can calculate the required amounts of chemicals. Note that PoolMath is just a calculator. Learn about required target levels by reading through the Pool School articles (in the burger menu at the top left), reading through forum posts and most importantly: Asking questions. Don't be shy. There are no dumb questions. We all started knowing nothing, and the committed members here helped us.

Reactions: newdude and Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.