ASR - Concrete Cancer - Austin, TX

Not looking for legal advice, I'm interested in assessment, remediation of pool (repair) and any procedures you had to follow. I'm sure there's someone on here who like me, paid $100K+ for a pool and then had this happen when you trusted (originally) reputable companies.

Maybe the plaster is cracked?

You can't see the gunite/shotcrete.

Can you show pictures?

You probably need an expert to determine if the plaster is cracked or the shotcrete.

Who suggested ASR?

Concrete can have many different types of failure.

The only way to really determine if the concrete is good or not is to core drill a sample and have it professionally analyzed.

Reactions: poolmagazine
What plaster did you get?

Contact the plaster manufacturer to see what they say.

Did the pool builder subcontract the gunite/shotcrete?

Are there complaints about ASR for other local pools?

If yes, have the claims been investigated by a qualified professional?

If yes, have you contacted the professional engineer or expert?

What is the ground water situation?

Are there complaints about the builder or the gunite subcontractor?

Have you contacted the builder and the gunite subcontractors to see what they say?

Apparently the Shot Crete company (among others here) had not mixed right and messed up a number of pools.
Can you get a batch report for the concrete mix from the concrete supplier?

When a concrete company orders a batch of concrete, they specify what concrete they want.

The supplier keeps records of the order and the batch report should have the details of the batch including things like psi, slump, admixtures, aggregate, cement, water content etc.

What specifications were specified for the concrete?

Did they do gunite or shotcrete?

Has the pool shifted or become unlevel?

Are tiles or coping coming loose?

What was the weather like during the shell shoot day?

How long between the shell shoot and plaster?

Did you water the shell until plaster was applied?

What was the concrete thickness?

Is the cracking uniform everywhere?

Last edited:
Maybe the plaster is cracked?

You can't see the gunite/shotcrete.

Can you show pictures?

You probably need an expert to determine if the plaster is cracked or the shotcrete.

Who suggested ASR?

Concrete can have many different types of failure.

The only way to really determine if the concrete is good or not is to core drill a sample and have it professionally analyzed.
Yes the plaster has horizontal runner cracks all over, just like the ASR pools (that have been confirmed). I had another pool company evaluate it look at this and they are pretty sure. Of course you have to take a $4K core sample to confirm, which hopefully the insurance company will cover.

Pictures are in the original post - I can get you more if you'd ilke.

This is not Gunite, its Shotcrete, which to my understanding is mixed on site and they shot immediately versus concrete/gunite.

Can you get a batch report for the concrete mix from the concrete supplier?

When a concrete company orders a batch of concrete, they specify what concrete they want.

The supplier keeps records of the order and the batch report should have the details of the batch including things like psi, slump, admixtures, aggregate, cement, water content etc.

What specifications were specified for the concrete?

Did they do gunite or shotcrete?

Has the pool shifted or become unlevel?

Are tiles or coping coming loose?

What was the weather like during the shell shoot day?

How long between the shell shoot and plaster?

Did you water the shell until plaster was applied?

What was the concrete thickness?

Is the cracking uniform everywhere?
  1. As you can imagine, neither the pool contractor or the shotcrete company are fully cooperating on that information at this time. I have attorney involved.
    Its shotcrete.
  2. The pool has not shifted, we are on a pretty good rock base.
  3. Some tiles are coming loose on the spa where the cracks formed (likely from water seepage).
  4. Perfect the weather when it was shot in a June Texas Summer
  5. The shell was shot then the plaster was probably about 6 weeks later - they had to wait on the large rock waterfall to be done
  6. Not sure on the thickness, all I have are the pictures (here are some more)
  7. Cracking is all the places where water looks like it leaked behind (coping routing, poor tile seals, waterfall, etc)
  8. The finish is Quartzscape pebble.

Attachments

• IMG_4419_Original.JPG
    IMG_4419_Original.JPG
    495.2 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_4348_Original.JPG
    IMG_4348_Original.JPG
    489 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_4085_Original.JPG
    IMG_4085_Original.JPG
    949.4 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_3555_Original.JPG
    IMG_3555_Original.JPG
    841.6 KB · Views: 179

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe this person can help.

Last edited:
Reactions: poolmagazine

Concrete Cancer

Original Presentation Date: March 15th, 2023

Presented by Paolo Benedetti, IWI

Alkali Silica Reaction (ASR) is often referred to as "Concrete Cancer", an affliction that destroys cementitious structures from within by way of a complex set of runaway chemical reactions.

Builders who do not understand ASR and fail to take preventative measures become exposed to catastrophic project failures.

The good news is that ASR can be reliably prevented by applying basic knowledge and proven methods.

This course defines ASR in layman's terms and covers prevention from both the technical and business perspectives.

1:00 hour -Watershape University is authorized by IACET to offer 0.1 CEUs for this program.

CEUs are awarded for successfully logging completion of this webinar through the course curriculum page after viewing the lecture. Further instructions for registering your completion of this course are posted on the course curriculum page below the webinar recording.

LEARNING OUTCOMES

1. Define Alkali Silica Reaction (ASR), its basic chemistry and effects on concrete structures.
  2. Examine symptoms including cracking and gel formation, and how to identify ASR.
  3. Explore preventive measures including admixtures, aggregate selection, and waterproofing.
  4. Discuss financial and contracting implications, and how to address ASR from a business standpoint.

If you really have multiple confirmed instances of ASR, then Paolo is probably already involved as he is the acknowledged expert.

Contact him to see what he recommends.

Maybe he can help directly or refer you to a local expert.

I’m still going through the process on my pool. Next is core sample and testing. $4-9k so we will see what the pool co says first.

One of the guys in the video is helping a lot of central texas owners with the issue. I’m not in the video.

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support