Anyone can share info on the Home Depot Xtremepowerus VSP?

Those are reasonable numbers, and as expected.

What is the lowest speed that the vacuum runs like you expect?
Thank you for your response.

To run my navigator the whole pool, it appears I need to have the pump at 3300 rpm. It can run at 3000 rpm but doesn't get to the shallow end as good. Is that normal speed?

I'm going to hook up the Xtremepower pump this weekend and pull the data. The Xtreme pump is a lot heavier and the manual states that it's 5.6 amp and pumps 111 gpm. Apparently the website is inaccurate.

To run my navigator the whole pool, it appears I need to have the pump at 3300 rpm. It can run at 3000 rpm but doesn't get to the shallow end as good. Is that normal speed?
For a low head pump, likely what you will have to use.

A few of the people with high head pumps I've seen run 1800-2200. That is one of the differences with a high head pump. They move more water at the same speed as a low head pump...meaning they can run lower RPMs to get the same flow as a low head pump on high speed.

A few of the people with high head pumps I've seen run 1800-2200. That is one of the differences with a high head pump. They move more water at the same speed as a low head pump...meaning they can run lower RPMs to get the same flow as a low head pump on high speed.
I see. This is the 1 hp pump.
Hopefully, the Xtreme 1.5 hp will produce better numbers. I'll be happy to post them when I get them.

Let me ask you this. If a 1 hp pump is running, let's say at 2000 rpm, would the 1.5 hp pump use more electricity than the 1 hp at the same speed? I was told that the 1.5hp would be more efficient.

Last edited:

Well, this is interesting. I installed my Xtremepower 1.5hp pump.
And this is what the pump pulled:

2500 .82 kw 345 watts 7"
2200 .69 kw 240 watts 6”
2000 .55 kw 172 watts 4.5”
1400 .38 kw, 158 watts 2"
1200 .24 kw, 152 watts 0"
1000 .23 kw 145 watts 0”

The 1hp doesn't have the watts meter on the control. The 1.5hp does, as shown above. That's a nice feature.
The kwh was measured at the house power meter panel.

Above 2500rpm, the 1.5hp pulls more juice.
Now, at 1400rpm and below, the 1.5hp is more energy efficient than the 1 hp.
How can that be?

This pump surely moves a lot more water. It can run my navigator at 2400rpm.
I have it at 1200rpm and water is moving. How does one know how low to go? When the skimmer door opens?

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I can only say it is better than the K2. Not likely anywhere near the pumps we recommended to you earlier.

They are different motors and pump designs.

Well, this pump exceeds what I need. Keep in mind that I only have the old 1 1/4" pipes with 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns and 1 vacuum port. I'm running it 2200 for the first hour, 1000 for the next 6 hours and 2200 for the last hour.

The water moves well in my pool. The skimmer door is opened at 1000 rpm. My navigator is running like a banshee at 2200 rpm. Can't complain for a $300 pump.

One last question. On this pump, the WEF is rated at 9.9. I understand it's the new "water efficiency factor" whereas 12 is the highest. Does this WEF mean anything or it's bull poop?

The Weighted Energy Factor (WEF) rating is a standardized measurement of a pump's energy efficiency. It's calculated by dividing the amount of water a pump moves by the amount of electricity it uses. A higher WEF indicates a more efficient pump.

Anybody care to chime in? I'd like your expert opinions as I never had a variable speed pump.
I have the Calimar 3.0hp VSP, bought the extended warranty. I have 1 1/2 inch piping, 1 drain and 1 skimmer on suction side, and 1 return, and a Pentair TA60D sand filter. I have minimal feet of head, and a flow meter on the piping. At 2700 RPM, I get about 55-60GPM of flow thru the system, which is the rated flow of the TA60D. If I need more flow to spread chemicals into the water, I can put the multi-port valve on the TA60D in bypass, and get higher flow, ie 70GPM instead of 55-60.

It has 4 speed settings, I alternate between 2 hours at 2700 RPM/900 watts/60GPM, and 10 hours at 800 RPM/40-50 watts/15GPM, for a total of 24 hours of pumping. Seems to be enough for my 25k gal pool...

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
I have the Calimar 3.0hp VSP, bought the extended warranty. I have 1 1/2 inch piping, 1 drain and 1 skimmer on suction side, and 1 return, and a Pentair TA60D sand filter. I have minimal feet of head, and a flow meter on the piping. At 2700 RPM, I get about 55-60GPM of flow thru the system, which is the rated flow of the TA60D. If I need more flow to spread chemicals into the water, I can put the multi-port valve on the TA60D in bypass, and get higher flow, ie 70GPM instead of 55-60.

It has 4 speed settings, I alternate between 2 hours at 2700 RPM/900 watts/60GPM, and 10 hours at 800 RPM/40-50 watts/15GPM, for a total of 24 hours of pumping. Seems to be enough for my 25k gal pool...

Hope this helps...

That helps but I have a 12,000 gallon pool so a 3hp is overkill for me. With this Xtremepower pump, it has a 4 speed pre-set settings and can be custom set to personal preferences which I did.

I'd like to put a flow meter in but it's like $100. Which do you have?

I read in this website that it's not necessary to install one and for us to go by the minimum rpm to move the water however we needed.

3hp is not overkill. It will move the same amount of water as your xtreme, while using less energy.
You don't need a flow meter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support