Seacoast, NH
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I went out to look over my pool this morning to check for frogs (we've ben getting a few swimmers most nights lately) and although I found nothing swimming in my pool, I did find some animal scat. It was mostly floaters near the shallow end but with the breeze it could've started anywhere. I skimmed it out the best I could and turned on the pump. Of course, I tossed it in the grass near my fence, so I guess I need to go scoop it from there at least to get it out of the yard. There remains some particulate matter in the pool that I can only get out with my pool vacuum. I am assuming it was raccoon feces but I suppose it could be something else.

My plan is to bring the FC up to SLAM level, run the pump for 24-hours and then clean the filter (or replace it since it's getting a little worn out.) I know raccoon feces come with the risk of raccoon roundworms and the only way to kill the eggs is extreme heat.

What other suggestions does anyone have?

Last edited:
Last edited:
The CDC says you should raise FC to 2 ppm. If you are hanging out on this forum, likely you might already be slightly above that ( :)).

What to Do When There is Poop in the Pool

They also talk about Racoons and worm eggs in the pool, and what to do. Besides cleanup of the evidence, there seems to be little that can be done about the worm eggs, except "don't drink the water".

Responding to Raccoons in and around the Pool

Haha...yup, my FC was 11.5 yesterday. I've read the CDC guidance and everything else I could could quickly find searching the internet.

I vacuumed the pool and took FC up to 22 ppm (CYA 50 ppm) with SWG off. I had to add water to the pool again to keep skimmers high enough so I rechecked it and had to bump it back up this morning. The pool is in Service Mode and filtering. I plan to change the filters tomorrow and call it good. As of last night, the wildlife camera we put up did not record any repeats visitors. While the SWG is off, I'm adding already needed salt and calcium to bring those back into range.

Thanks for the advice.