Anchoring Pool Liner Extrusion - Wood vs Concrete ?

May 19, 2017
New York
Hello Everyone,

I'm having some masonry repair work done on my IGP walls to support a new liner extrusion. The mason is recommending that he build the wall up an 1.5" higher and avoiding using the PT wood to support the liner extrusion. The pool contractor doing the liner is fine with this. My question - is this actually a better option ? It sounds better, but screwing into concrete is more complicated than screwing into wood. I'm concerned about sections not being anchored securely - should I be ?

I would be interested in hearing people's thoughts on this. Appreciate any help .

IGP | T-Shaped 18x36 Deep | 12x18 Shallow | 43k Gallons of Water

Thank you !

Thank you for the reply - The pool walls are block. However, the original builder failed to fill the blocks with cement. Since the top row of block is deteroirating badly, I'm having a mason remove the entire first row of block, fille the existing block with cement, and pour 9" of cement to rebuild the wall. This will prevent the need for PT wood, since we added an 1.5" of height with concrete. I removed the old 80's style white stone coping - and replacing with bullnose brick. I spoke with the mason and the pool contractor and they're both comfortable with the attaching the liner extrusion to the concrete. I'm concerned about anchoring it, but they're confident they can make certain it will hold. I'm not sure what kind of extusion the pool contractor is using - I actually have it in the backyard now so I can get a picture of it.

The pool decking is concrete, but I'm evaluating options for either finishing the concrete or covering with pavers. If there are any discussions threads about finishing pool decks, I need to read through them.

Appreciate any thoughts - thanks again!

They will be fine using tapcons they aren't metal so wont rust away. Just need to be sure to put ALOT of them it takes time to drill and then screw every 8"
The cantilevered track sits higher I'm front so theres room in back for the tapcon head to sit then the bullnose sits right on the liner track.
I avoid masonry nails around a pool I would make sure nothing metal is used to fasten

Reactions: zooba72
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.