Houston, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I recently purchased and received the Aiper Hand Held Vacuum and wanted to share my experience with it.

My goal with the purchase was to find a way to capture and remove the dirt and silt typically left by the rain on my sun-shelf, steps, and spa instead of just brushing it about the pool. This is something AIPER specifically advertised it being capable of on its website.
1681512132773.png
Upon un-boxing my first impressions of it were ok, it was a lot smaller than expected but it looked like it was well built and had a decent quality finish to it. However, upon assembly the lower filter cartridge (the clear plastic bit with the nozzle would not fully seat itself and rotated all the way around then off of the body of the vacuum. Also, the ad from amazon stated it would come with a fine mesh sock and a standard mesh sock and mine had only come with the former. Regardless of these issues, I charged it up placed in on a pole and headed to the pool where it failed to impress.

I turned the vacuum on and placed it on the sun shelf and began vacuum to suck up the dirt and silt. That is until all the dirt and silt began to float out of the mesh socks weave and back into the water. At this point, I remembered from the reviews someone had taken a skimmer sock and placed it over the mesh bag in an attempt to capture the finer debris and that worked for a time until the basket started coming off from the body of the vacuum randomly. Around this same time, the clear plastic lower filter cartridge started coming loose regularly and made the vacuum pretty much impossible to use. The size of the vacuum was also very restrictive, to vacuum up the sun shelf it would take about 3 times as as it would to brush and not give any benefit of doing so since it dumped all the fine dirt back into the pool. It was at this point I contacted AIPER.

I emailed AIPER about the issues (the missing bag and the rotating cartridge/nozzle) and waited. 2-3 days went by and I received no response. I emailed again asking for a return authorization and a refund to which AIPER immediately responded asking for an video of how I assembled the vacuum which I provided. I was told in a subsequent email that I was assembling the vacuum wrong and should try it a different way. I attempted again to assemble the vacuum per their instructions and ended up with the same result. I again requested a return authorization as this was clearly a defect and not an issue with how I was operating it and was told I could keep the vacuum and they would refund me my money. To AIPER's credit, they did just that.

Since I was refunded my money and able to keep the vacuum, I decided to see if there was any way I could fix the issues that I had with it (aside from the size).

To correct the issue with the clear plastic filter cartridge/nozzle coming off I used my plastic repair kit and melted some metal re-enforcement bits into the ends of the where the clear plastic piece locks into the white plastic body on both sides (see below pic)
1681511365443.png

1681511399588.png
I then glue/melted a band of clear plastic across the groove that locates the clear plastic nozzle onto the white body as shown below.

1681511467909.png
Since I made these corrections, the clear plastic nozzle/filter cartridge has not fallen off the limited time I have used it.

To correct the filter basket coming off, I used two zip ties to secure the skimmer socket to it and create more resistance in the direction of the mounting tabs to it slipping free. It also has not come loose since I made correction.

Given the modifications successfully addressed the issues I was having, I felt I should share them and posted here.

Overall, I do not recommend the vacuum as it appears to have quality issues with tolerances and fit given my experience and the experience of other based on the reviews. It also does not perform its intended tasks well (removal of silt and fine debris). For a smaller pool with larger debris such as leaves, seed pods etc.. the vacuum may be a useful tool but not for a larger pool or spa. Again, Aiper did refund my money and I give them credit for doing so. They are an honest company and that goes a long way.

No. TFP is somewhat reluctant to rely on anecdotal reviews and even more reluctant to provide endorsements.
We must help the consumer from making costly mistakes. There are other forums where products are discussed openly and recommended all the time based on trusted crowd sourced members experience and opinions (SME in their field/industry etc.)

With the many products in the pool industry and so many copies and knock-offs, it is doing a group disservice by not having open dialogs and recommendations to follow.

This also helps to filter out all the less than stellar products and either forces the manufacturers to improve, or it gets off the market from lack of sales.

Reactions: Puppytoes
With the many products in the pool industry and so many copies and knock-offs, it is doing a group disservice by not having open dialogs and recommendations to follow.
That's hard to govern when we may have 400 newbs joining a day in the peak season. While I'd believe anyone who joined and posted a review over *any* Amazon review, we just can't know the full story. Maybe they have a stake in it. Maybe they had a one off bad experience with the company and trash anything else from them. Others are simply never happy and expect Ferrari performance from a $175 XYZ.

We see it all the time with Intex related equipment. The complete pool setup may only cost a couple hundred bucks and it's GREAT for what it is, but it also is exactly what it is. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: kimkats
We welcome topics such as this one that obey our forum rules while discussing and reviewing pool products. We also encourage users to ask their fellow TFP community members what products they use and stand by, whether via PM or in a thread of their own. Threads like these get plenty of Google search traffic and TFP forum search traffic as well by users looking for validation when picking a product to buy. However it is in the interest of impartiality that TFP can not and will not endorse products in the way you're describing.

Reactions: kimkats and newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.