AGP Winter Leak

jbilliel

May 5, 2020
Connecticut
My AGP has been covered for 1.5 months and noticed the other day the the cover was way too low. Much to my surprise there is only 1 foot of water in the pool. I immediately pulled the cover off to prevent it from pulling in the side. I then got my waders on to see if I could find the leak and with the dye I couldn't find anything! Any ideas on how to handle for the remainder of the winter? I don't see any signs of where the water is leaking from.

Any other tricks to finding a leak in the vinyl liner other than the food coloring or pool leak dye?
Once the water level settles to the new waterline, all you can do is carefully go all around the pool (inside and out) looking for the actual problem area. Probably less than desirable to do in CT this time of year. Losing that much water I would think there should be a wet area somewhere around the pool if it's totally above ground.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Take the cover off and leave it off for the winter. The water level will settle at where the leak is and then it's a matter of going around the pool to find the leak. I did this to troubleshoot a leak in my hot tub along with what Texas Splash said about wet spots. I know you already looked but it's the only way to at least have a clue at what level to look. Did you look at seams? A little far fetched but did you leave any pump, hose or anything that could siphon the pool water? I once drained my pool too low with the cover on because of seepage of pool water onto the winter cover.

Leaving the cover off may cause your pool to become a swamp but it will clean right up with liquid chlorine/bleach and a lot of filtering. I had a winter cover split apart on winter and the pool became a swamp, following the TFP SLAM method cleared the pool up pretty quickly.

There are two major things that you do not want to happen.

The worst case situation is your pool collapsing. We can get windy here in the NE, and without water in your pool it can blow the wall over.

The next worst thing is that your liner can dry out and become brittle, in which case you will need a new liner.

I would let the pool continue to drain via the leak, and if it stops you know where your leak is. As others have said, before it gets to low, go over the bottom. Pay careful attention to the seams. Look for any sort of rocks or objects under the liner (not easy in waders). You really just have to be methodical and go over the entire surface. Once you find your leak, patch it, and fill the pool at least a couple of feet.

The good news is we have some warm (relatively - 45 -50 F) temps coming through and an unsettled atmosphere Sun - Tuesday next week (meaning it may rain on and off) If you get it patched this weekend, you may just nature to help you fill it back up a bit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.