Adding Tile After Pebble Tec an Issue?

Ferencik

Jun 9, 2020
Atlanta, GA
Our pool contractor Forgot to put in the 2 inch tiles on the edge of our sun ledge and on our steps. He also made the waterfall spill over from the spa to the pool too narrow. Technically his workers made these mistakes but he was not on site frequently enough in our opinion. In any event he is telling us that they add tiles to completed pools all the time and it will not compromise the pebble Tec. We are not so sure and have lost trust in him. Anybody have thoughts or experience with this?B8C856FC-3F82-4E9B-B9EE-7C89AF889846.jpegD67765D4-FF7F-459D-9A62-EF1D086FFD59.jpeg

Last edited:
I would contact Pebble Tec and ask their opinion. You do not want to something that voids your warranty. I am assuming your installer was an authorized installer for the pebble tec. I have Wet Edge Technologies pebble which I used to re-plaster over a standard white plaster. That original plaster had toe tiles. In discussion with the installer, it was decided to not lay down new toe tiles as it would clash with the color I selected. I wasn't a big fan of toe tiles either so we did without and it looks quite well. I would be hesitant to dig out your new plaster to add toe tiles thus the recommendation to call the manufacturer.
Now for the spillover waterfall, that is probably an easier fix as it is only your coping and water tiles. Post a picture of your current status and others can comment as well.

Reactions: Ferencik
I would contact Pebble Tec and ask their opinion. You do not want to something that voids your warranty. I am assuming your installer was an authorized installer for the pebble tec. I have Wet Edge Technologies pebble which I used to re-plaster over a standard white plaster. That original plaster had toe tiles. In discussion with the installer, it was decided to not lay down new toe tiles as it would clash with the color I selected. I wasn't a big fan of toe tiles either so we did without and it looks quite well. I would be hesitant to dig out your new plaster to add toe tiles thus the recommendation to call the manufacturer.
Now for the spillover waterfall, that is probably an easier fix as it is only your coping and water tiles. Post a picture of your current status and others can comment as well.
Thanks for your response! We will contact PebbleTec... that’s a great suggestion. I’ve attached images of our pool as well.

I would also ask the builder to outline the exact process he is proposing to correct the issue. I am sure there is a way to do it correctly, but they might be planning to shortcut it and try to pass it off. When you talk to PebbleTec it will be useful to be able to tell them what steps are being proposed as corrective action.

Very nice pictures. Beautiful design and landscaping. I have very similar spill over from spa to pool. However my coping goes completely across the "waterfall" so it more of a tunnel. Mine is 16 inches wide and it works well. I have a 7ft dia. spa.
On another post, someone was having issues that they were only getting a trickle over their spill over but theirs were like 3 feet wide. There was not sufficient flow from the pump to push a high volume of water to make the spill over like a true waterfall. You may be best with the narrower spill over. Have you tried it to see how much flow you get over it? Does that meet your expectation (other than width)? You may be best to leave as it.
Also, after contacting Pebble Tec and its not meant to be, don't let the lack of toe tiles bother you, you have a beautiful color and finish from what is shown in the close up of the spa.

If the builder screwed up it is their liability to fix it. Those tiles are not just for looks they also provide safety elements. I would talk to your builder about your concerns and make sure they fix it for you.
Or ask for a discount or get something else for free. Either way, they need to make it right - fix to your likings or lower the price.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.