About to pull the trigger on Cartridge Filter, please help

Gflande1

Jul 11, 2019
Syracuse, New York
I am switching from a sand filter to a cartridge filter. I have a couple that I am comparing and would like to purchase one this week.

I have listed them in order of my preference. I am looking for any insight or suggestions. If there is a different brand that I should be looking at, let me know. Attempting to stay around 1K for 400-500sq ft. I enjoy cleaning my pool, which is only open 5 months, so it wouldn't bother me having to clean a filter a few times a year.

Crystal Water 425 sq.ft, 6 hour turnover 54,000gal $971.99 (AquaPoolSupply)
AquaStar PipeLine Filter PLF35000, 6 hour turnover 35,000gal (?) $999.00 (PoolSupplyUnlimited)
Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Pool Filter 325 sq ft, $1237.16 (lowes)

My biggest concern with the Crystal Water is from some reviews saying it cracked in the bottom within a year or two. Trend? Or one off?

Last edited:
My biggest concern with the Crystal Water is from some reviews saying it cracked in the bottom within a year or two. Trend? Or one off?
We had a couple people get Waterway filters last year and haven't heard back, which is always good.

Look at RX clear also, IIRC its a sister or cousin.

Dohneys has cheap filters too, maybe you can get an extended warranty through them to appease your concerns. (Although I'm typically anti warranty because most people lose paying for one and i'm and odds guy).

I am switching from a sand filter to a cartridge filter. I have a couple that I am comparing and would like to purchase one this week.

I have listed them in order of my preference. I am looking for any insight or suggestions. If there is a different brand that I should be looking at, let me know. Attempting to stay around 1K for 400-500sq ft. I enjoy cleaning my pool, which is only open 5 months, so it wouldn't bother me having to clean a filter a few times a year.

Crystal Water 425 sq.ft, 6 hour turnover 54,000gal $971.99 (AquaPoolSupply)
AquaStar PipeLine Filter PLF35000, 6 hour turnover 35,000gal (?) $999.00 (PoolSupplyUnlimited)
Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Pool Filter 325 sq ft, $1237.16 (lowes)

Don't believe the "turnover" numbers, they are a myth. To get those kinds of flow rates you would need 3" plumbing.
The AquaStar is a good filter. It is 250sq. ft., single cartridge, and has a small foot print. (Now $925.00)
Hayward and Waterway ($849.00 at Pool Supply Unlimited) are larger physically and hold more dirt, 4-cartridge filters, and both good.
After several years the actual cartridge brand won't matter as you will purchase an aftermarket one, or set.

Reactions: Newdude
Why would you want to switch from sand to cartridge?
I've been running into issues with the multi port on my Hayward. I replaced it 3 years ago and it was working fine. This last year it was binding up a bit, probably just needs a little maintenance. I am just tired of dealing with it and backwashing.

We have a small slopped yard. When we backwash it ends up pooling and the dogs make a huge mess. I also have a neighbor who complained that I got some in his yard. I now backwash to the driveway, which goes to the street and in the street drain. Its technically legal in my township, however, the chorine needs to be zero. I doubt anyone will measure it, but I just felt with the multi port issues and the desire to not waste as much water, I might as well make the switch.

Also, heard they do a better job at filtering.

Am I assuming correctly that the Waterway 450 sq. ft. filter will need cleaning approx. half as many times as the 250 sq. ft. AquaStar?

I really like the footprint and maintenance of the AquaStar, just don't know if will be big enough.

I have a lot of trees, so I will likely be on the higher end of possible containments. Hope that makes sense.

Am I assuming correctly that the Waterway 450 sq. ft. filter will need cleaning approx. half as many times as the 250 sq. ft. AquaStar?

I really like the footprint and maintenance of the AquaStar, just don't know if will be big enough.

I have a lot of trees, so I will likely be on the higher end of possible containments. Hope that makes sense.
Lots of trees? Go/stay with sand.

Gflande1,

I have the Hayward Swimclear Cartridge Filter C4530. It has 4 filter cartridges that are 112sqft. I have cleaned this system 3 times ( 1. after initial fill, 2. a year later, 3. a year after that). The internal filters are in perfect condition still and wash up nicely. It is a wonderful filter for the pool. I have no problem cleaning it only once a year for a 18,000 gal pool. You would be fine with once a year for your 23K pool.

Here is the drawback of the Hayward that drives me crazy. To remove the filter cartridges, you have to take a metal band that is connected via a large nut to the filter. This band is a pain to put back on the filter after you finish cleaning. Any cartridge filter system you get be sure that it is easy to take apart and just as easy to put back together. The cartridge filter I had for my AGP had snaps to take it apart and was basically a breeze to clean.

I think all your choices are good. The 450 sqft filters will last the entire swim season while you may have to clean the smaller ones more often.

Lots of trees? Go/stay with sand.
Lots might have been a bit of an exaggerations. Definitely not a Forrest, more like 8-10 50’ trees along the back property lines between the houses in our neighborhood. If any of them fell, maybe 4 could hit our house.

I’m leaning toward the Aquastar Pipeline. If I add one of the Circulon pre filters (or other brand), would that be enough to protect me from lots of cleanings? I’m good with cleaning once a month or so.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lots might have been a bit of an exaggerations. Definitely not a Forrest, more like 8-10 50’ trees along the back property lines between the houses in our neighborhood. If any of them fell, maybe 4 could hit our house.

I’m leaning toward the Aquastar Pipeline. If I add one of the Circulon pre filters (or other brand), would that be enough to protect me from lots of cleanings? I’m good with cleaning once a month or so.
Circupool "Cyclone" filter? Have only seen one in use but many like them. You trade cleaning one filter for another, though they clean easily.