30 Days after fill - Large blotchy spot and yellow/brownish colored steps

skr1988

Dec 9, 2023
Keller, Texas
Good evening all,

Just had two quick questions I'd love some insight on.

At the end of January we filled our 10,000 gallon salt water gunite pool with Pebblesheen Blue Surf. The pool builder company used their own company for the initial start up water chemical balancing.

1. During the 3 week period, I noticed a few areas in the pool that looked significantly different than the rest of the pool. These areas appeared much darker than the rest of the plaster. I spoke with my pool builder about this, they acknowledged the differences, and according to the start up company, attempted to correct it with chemicals but there wasn't an improvement.

My pool builder had the plaster company come out this morning. The plaster company said that this area is actually the way the entire pool should look, and the rest of the pool has scale built up. This seemed off to me since neither the start up group, or the pool builder mentioned this at any point, and this is a relatively small area that has the discoloration.

The plaster company basically mentioned two options - add 8-10 gallons of acid to the pool and don't drain it, or drain the pool and do an acid wash.

I'm not sure if what I'm being told by the plaster company is correct, or an attempt to save $ if the problem was on their end.

In the pictures you can clearly see the area that is significantly darker than the rest of the plaster.

2. Additionally, I noticed today that some of my steps/ledge in the deep end appear to have large areas of yellow/brown discoloration. I'm not sure what this is from, or what can be done about this. We are in the process of preparing the dirt for grass seed/sod so I'm not sure if this is related to dirt being blown into the pool as we have had some strong rain/wind the last few days.

I had the water tested at Leslies today and had the following results:
FC: 1.74
TC : 1.79
pH: 7.9
Total Alkalinity: 81
Calcium Hardiness: 239
Cyanuric Acid: 57
Iron: 0
Phosphates: 0
Salt: 2417

I really appreciate any help!

Attachments

• Pool 1.jpg
    Pool 1.jpg
    567.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Pool 2.jpg
    Pool 2.jpg
    752.7 KB · Views: 23
I don’t see any big problems in your pictures. Can you circle the areas of concern?

Sand the areas of different color with 80/100 grit wet/dry sandpaper and see if a different color is revealed. That will tell you which areas have surface discoloring.

We don’t recommend acid baths or washing for cosmetic problems. Acid removes a layer of plaster and weakens the plaster reducing its life.

I have blue surf as well and if you look at my profile and scroll through the media images you'll see it matches the lighter areas of your pool. Those darker areas are the issue and not how it is all supposed to look. Unfortunately I can't offer reasons why those areas are darker but I would try ajw's suggestion.

I don’t see any big problems in your pictures. Can you circle the areas of concern?

Sand the areas of different color with 80/100 grit wet/dry sandpaper and see if a different color is revealed. That will tell you which areas have surface discoloring.

We don’t recommend acid baths or washing for cosmetic problems. Acid removes a layer of plaster and weakens the plaster reducing its life.
Thank you for taking the time to get back to me, I really appreciate it.

Primarily is this large area that seems darker than the rest of the pool. With outdoor lighting and the pool lighting you can sometimes see it more clearly. Here's a few more pictures with the area in question circled in red. The one with the white light was just taken now with the pool light on.

Attachments

• Pool 3.jpg
    Pool 3.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Pool 4.jpg
    Pool 4.jpg
    571.9 KB · Views: 16
  • pool 5.jpg
    pool 5.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 16
I have blue surf as well and if you look at my profile and scroll through the media images you'll see it matches the lighter areas of your pool. Those darker areas are the issue and not how it is all supposed to look. Unfortunately I can't offer reasons why those areas are darker but I would try ajw's suggestion.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. What yours looks like is what I expected mine to look like, for the most part it's relatively similar, except for those few areas that are significantly darker in mine.

The plaster company is trying to say small darker area is actually correct, and the entire rest of the pool has scale causing it to be a different color. It just seems farfetched that this small area is correct and the rest of the pool/spa is wrong.

It is interesting that the problem areas are all alongside floor/wall junctions.

I think it was caused during the plastering process maybe by over watering or over working those areas.

Plastering is a hand applied process and rarely perfect. I would just accept that as part of the character of the pool. Especially since it is not that visible in normal daytime light.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.