Fassel

Jul 9, 2022
Yakima, WA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am getting these yellow flakes on the bottom of my hot tub. I changed the water before it got too cold (November) and will change again today, but they keep showing up! I use 1/2 household softend water and 1/2 well water (no minerals) to fill. I use acid and bleach only.IMG_0030.jpeg

Hopefully that is not a sign of something falling apart in the tub. Let's be sure it's not calcium. See if you can gather those flakes and put them in a pile in the yard and slowly pour a small bit of muriatic acid on it. If it fizzles it's calcium scale breaking free. I was looking at your Poolmath logs, but there's not much to go on there. You say "mineral free" above, but your well may also have iron in it. Some well water is also very hard.

yes, our well water is hard, but no minerals including iron. I don't log very often into Trouble Free, but knowing it could have helped, I will start. Muriatic acid had no effect. These particles are extremly fragile, Not slimy (moldy) so I don't think it's bits of plastic tubing, nor is it filter material or pool toys. I think they smell musty. Hot tub ph tends to run high- usually 2 drops of acid demand regent. It is somewhere above 8, but I don't know where 2 drops would read.

I noticed my profile is for my swim spa, not my fiberglass 450gallon hot tub