Dec 27, 2023
Ft. Worth, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi Everyone,
My pool build is underway and the tile and coping will be installed soon. I have run into a snafu with my PB concerning the tile I've chosen for my waterline. It is a glass 3x6 tile that comes as singles, not on a paper sheet or mesh sheet. It does have a backing of some sort. My PB is saying that he doesn't think this tile will work and recommends I use one that has a mesh backing. I don't believe it's impossible because I've seen other pools use the same tile. I'm not a professional tiler but I'd think they'd be installed the same way, the single tiles may just take longer and the installer would need to be precise with his placement to keep lines straight. But I don't no that's not my wheel house which is why I'm raising the question here. I'm inclined to believe they just use the sheeted tiles more often because it makes for a faster install. He says the lack of mesh will cause the tile not to adhere properly.

My questions are... what could be the drawback of using a non-sheeted tile? is this a matter of time and skill-level? should I be concerned about longevity (tiles popping off) with the single tiles (the type I want installed)?
Any thoughts on this will be appreciated. Below is a pic of the tile I want versus the mesh sheeted tile my PB is trying to push me towards.

Tile.jpg

I'm getting ready to tile my pool as well.....I'm by no means an expert. First, confirm with the manufacturer that the tile you want to use (or the pool builders choice) is rated for submerged applications (TCNA has 9 criteria they test for to meet this requirement and the manufacturer of the tile will be able to provide it). Also, I believe TCNA recommends minimum 95% thinset coverage for submerged glass tile applications. Some mesh backed tile cannot meet this requirement. In fact, a lot of mesh backed glue breaks down when submerging in water so check that as well if you're stuck using the pool builder's choice. Not sure what "backing" you have on the tile you selected but you want to make sure it does not prevent the coverage requirements above. Good luck with your project.

Thanks for your responses.

I did verify with Glazzio (mfr of my tile choice) is rated for pool use /submersion but not for PB's suggested tile. His is supplied by NPT so it probably is okay for waterline applications. I've read mixed things about the backing for pool tile. Some seem to say avoid mesh or paper altogether while others say it doesn't matter as long as it's installed properly you should be fine.

I also asked about the backing because I'm not too sure what it is either. The representative says it's a "smooth" backing...:rolleyes:. "Well that's helpful", I thought.

If I get a chance I will call today with hopes of speaking to someone that could give more info.

Those tiles will cost the pool builder more to have installed so it is in HIS best interest to talk you out of them....................Get what YOU want and don't mind him at all! I WOULD be there while they are installing them to make sure the are done correctly. You can have some cold drinks and yummies available for the tile crew to help them be happy about doing the work for you!

Thanks @kimkats! You and I are on the same page. The more I've thought about it, I came to the conclusion to stick to my plans. The cooled beverages and knick knacks would be a good offering for the crew. I will make sure to do that.

Thank you all for your input :)

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.