Water Slide

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando fl
So we are thinking about building a pool in the next year or so. I was thinking that it might be nice to put a slide in. Any mind sharing the ballpark cost of adding this type of option? We are located in central Florida and I would want a slide that looks integrated into the pool.

Would there be any other concerns like extra depth requirements or our insurance company going crazy over having one?

Interested about the insurance part also. We have heard that they do not like them! lol. We decided against the diving board and opted for 6ft depth. Our PB said it is still plenty deep if we decide on a slide later. He said that he just built another pool at his new home and opted for no slide this time b/c his kids used it for a little while and then barely ever after the newness wore off.

Price really depends on what you're looking for. My insurance company had no added premiums for the slide. Best to check with your own company before you build. In my area, diving boards call for higher insurance premiums. Price is really dependent on what you're looking for. Ours waterfall/rock slide combo added about $15K to the price of the pool. Price includes the dedicated plumbing and pump required to run it. If you post some pics or more info, you may get some better cost estimates.

Pool (2).jpg

We are getting an SR Smith typhoon. It’s paid for and is meant to go in any day. Our pool is finished and it’s one of the last things to be done. We are in Australia so costing will be a little different. You can get a rough idea on price looking on amazon. If we had the space we would have put in the turbo twister. If we had the funds we would have done something like costa-lotta. When our kids are finished with the slide in many years to come we plan on selling it and filling the holes with matching grout. All this rides on whether it fits or not! They take up a fair bit of deck space. I guess we will see soon enough.

We had the SR Smith Typhoon slide installed when we had the pool built:

IMG_20180604_095920685.jpg

SR Smith offers a larger slide, but I felt it would be too big given the size of our pool.

There was no additional insurance for having a slide. On the left side of the picture, you can see a raised area (where our spa is located). The builder told me that he could install the plumbing and install the bolts in the concrete to put the slide on the raised area. But, he said he wasn't allowed to install a slide that high above the water level and I would have to do the installation.

Given that we have a fiberglass pool with only 6.5 feet of water at the deep end, I opted to put on the pool decking. I was surprised that in the owner's manual it states that the minimum water depth for a slide installed like ours is only 4.5 feet. :shock:

I bought the slide from Poolsupplyworld and our pool builder provided the pump and did the installation.

Our 34 year old daughter uses the slide more than anyone else.

Here's my slide -- SR Smith Turbo Twister. Runs off my pool pump. Waterfall has its own pump. Whole setup was $15-20k, IIRC.

Xfx3gDol.jpg

We are putting in a slide. We opted for a fiberglass option that is integrated into the design. Our PB did not break this out specifically, but when we got bids, they cost from 10-15K. The higher end is for a customer concrete slide. We did not want one of those, as they are expensive. Also, our friends put one of those in, and they are much slower. it also took about a month or so for it to totally smooth out. When it was first put in, it was a little bumpy and hurt your skin. Our new fiberglass slide is going to be fast fun, and not too much of an eyesore.

We have not called the insurance company. We are hoping for the best. My son absolutely loves slides. Our pool is 8 feet deep, but I do not think that slides require a lot of depth. We have a long, large slide at a club that we belong to, and it is in 4' deep water.

I hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes!

Attachments

• Pool 6-7 Grotto 1.jpg
    Pool 6-7 Grotto 1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 258
  • Pool 6-7 Slide -1.jpg
    Pool 6-7 Slide -1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 253

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are putting in a slide. We opted for a fiberglass option that is integrated into the design. Our PB did not break this out specifically, but when we got bids, they cost from 10-15K. The higher end is for a customer concrete slide. We did not want one of those, as they are expensive. Also, our friends put one of those in, and they are much slower. it also took about a month or so for it to totally smooth out. When it was first put in, it was a little bumpy and hurt your skin. Our new fiberglass slide is going to be fast fun, and not too much of an eyesore.

We have not called the insurance company. We are hoping for the best. My son absolutely loves slides. Our pool is 8 feet deep, but I do not think that slides require a lot of depth. We have a long, large slide at a club that we belong to, and it is in 4' deep water.

I hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes!

We're looking at a reno and adding a slide/water feature. We're also looking at fiberglass because of the cost and issues you raised. Was the price you received for the slide only, or the slide and surrounding grotto?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.