Bronze Supporter
Jun 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My Polaris cleaner is fed from a 3/4 HP pump that wired for 240 volts. I would like to put this pump on a GFCI breaker.

The 240 volt GFCI breakers are expensive. The 120 volt GFCI breakers are less than half the cost.

The pump is rated 115/230 vac at 12.8/6.4 amps. It is located 10 feet from a 100 amp sub-panel.

At 10' from the panel, I see no reason not to rewire the pump to 120 volts using a 20 amp GFCI breaker. Note only would the breaker cost less but I would pick up an open space in the sub-panel.

What are your thoughts?

(Booster pump is fed from the 20 amp non-GFCI breaker shown in the photo.)

Pool panel.jpg

My Polaris cleaner is fed from a 3/4 HP pump that wired for 240 volts. I would like to put this pump on a GFCI breaker.

The 240 volt GFCI breakers are expensive. The 120 volt GFCI breakers are less than half the cost.

The pump is rated 115/230 vac at 12.8/6.4 amps. It is located 10 feet from a 100 amp sub-panel.

At 10' from the panel, I see no reason not to rewire the pump to 120 volts using a 20 amp GFCI breaker. Note only would the breaker cost less but I would pick up an open space in the sub-panel.

What are your thoughts?

(Booster pump is fed from the 20 amp non-GFCI breaker shown in the photo.)

View attachment 574875
Is there a timer in the system for the booster? There should be. The booster can be attached to the same GFCI breaker that should be powering your filter pump.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Is there a timer in the system for the booster? There should be. The booster can be attached to the same GFCI breaker that should be powering your filter pump.
There is no timer for the booster. The cleaner is used only during the first few days after opening to clean up leaves and winter debris.

I am lucky enough to have invested in a motorized cover that is closed unless the pool is in use. It keeps out most debris, reduces heat loss and slows loss of chlorine, results in minimal chemical adjustments after opening, and is an absolute pleasure when closing for the winter. The main pump runs two hours per day unless there is heavy usage or when chlorine/acid is added. I have not had an algae incident since 2008. Best money ever spent.

Last edited: