Apr 9, 2019
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,
looking for some guidance on pool chemicals while away for vacation. I was thinking about adding the liquid chlorine the night before I leave, then place 2-3 chlorine pucks in the floater, but not sure if this will work since we have never left the pool unattended like this for more than just a couple of days. I also have a neighbor lined up who is willing to add LQ every other day.

Appreciate any tips.

thanks,

Good that you have a neighbor lined up because that will help. My recommendation is to bring it up to slam and then have your neighbor add chlorine based on your calculations of how much you currently add.
If your neighbor is willing to test, then you can teach them how to use pool math.

Another option is to bring up to slam, cover with solar cover and cross your fingers until you get back.

I have actually talked to two different repair techs who did work on my equipment about SWCG and both of them said, it's not worth the investment as it still requires continuously checking and filling with product. I am sure it beats having to buy LQ every week.

I read from a neighbor that he paid about $1800 to have one installed and that was 2 years ago, so I am guessing the cost has increased.

Pool techs understand very little about the pool equipment they service and even less about water chemistry or SWCGs. Even at elevated prices for equipment and install, SWCGs beat out liquid chorine every time. There is nothing to "fill" except adding salt after heavy rainfall (overflowing) or draining. If you're handy, Circupool has very affordable solutions for the DIY'er.

As far as costs go, I cannot find @Newdude 's latest breakdown (hopefully this will summon him), but if you buy a cell that is rated for just 2x your pool volume, you're coming out significantly far ahead even with an overpriced SWCG and install vs liquid chlorine dosing. And this isn't even getting into the "cost" of convenience of not having to jug lug.

I have actually talked to two different repair techs who did work on my equipment about SWCG and both of them said, it's not worth the investment
That's very bad advice (whether intentional or not). A SWCG is one of the best investments you'll make for your pool.

requires continuously checking
This is incorrect. With proper water chemistry, the cell should never need cleaning or expenditure of time/money/effort. It simply does what it does.

filling with product
What product? The SWCG generates FC using the dissolved salt in the water. The process repeats itself continuously.

I am sure it beats having to buy LQ every week.
It does. And it's a lot cheaper. I can't overemphasize the convenience and ease of a SWCG.

I read from a neighbor that he paid about $1800 to have one installed and that was 2 years ago, so I am guessing the cost has increased.
Possibly, but that is money very well spent.

Hey Silva !!!

*cracks knuckles and gets ready to count beans*

It looks like you have a timer instead if automation so we can shop around for a brand. If automation is on the horizon in the next 7 years or so, you'll want to go with that brand here too.

So in Houston you have a long and hot season. A SWG rated for your volume would need to run 24/7 to produce enough FC during the peak season. A 2X unit makes the same FC in 12 hours, not only saving pump electricity but then doubling the lifespan of the SWG. A 3x only needs 8 hours runtime, tripling the life.

I'd go 3X in NY in a heartbeat, and 4X if I lived in a hot climate. The ROI pays spades going larger. It's a little more expensive for lots more life.

So let's crunch a Circupool RJ45+ for a 3X unit. It'll produce 17 FC per 24 hours, or 7083 lifetime FC. I estimate way low because they claim the produce 50% more for 50% longer. So I use their FC claims at 10k hours instead of 15k hours. It could do even better than I'm calculating but want to err on the side of reality.

It's $1295 (with tax) for 7083 FC, or 18 cents per FC. Let's double the cost to allow $1295 to pay someone to install it and it's going to cost you 36 cents per FC, or less. Future cells don't need the controller or the install and may approach 10 cents per FC.

1 gal of 10% chlorine gets you 7 FC.

$4 jug = 57 cents per FC
$5 jug = 71 cents per FC
$6 jug = 85 cents per FC (Walmart is $6.12)
$7 jug = $1 per FC (Lowes is $7+)
$8 jug = just don't.

So even if you have a steal of a deal with $4 bleach, it's 1.6 times more expensive to lug jugs, if you paid through the nose for a pro install of a RJ45+. Future cells would utterly spank the $4 bleach saving somewhere near 5X.

The RJ45+ will save you lugging 1011 jugs, and I cannot, even begin, to scratch the surface on that convienence. That's worth paying considerably *more* for, but you will *save* and not lug 1011 jugs.

Also for comparison, Walmart jugs which many use, would cost $6187.33 including tax, compared to the $1295 RJ45+. That leaves you a honking window to pay for install and still clean up if using WM bleach.

I’m new to SWG and already recommend it. I don’t have anyone I want coming around when I’m not here to add chlorine so it was the logical next step when I was making a change to the pool pad. Lugging chlorine is not fun. There is the initial cost for a SWG, but if it’s within reason for you I think it’s worth it. I went larger than I needed as suggested above by @Newdude Once you’re ready to pay for it it’s not that much more to size up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also in the Houston area. My neighbor and I both vacation frequently and take turns watching each other's pools. He uses liquid chlorine, I use a SWG (another vote for getting one BTW - as Newdude demonstrated, it pays for itself quickly with today's chlorine prices!)

If gone for a week or less, we leave each other's chemistry alone and just keep an eye on skimmers and water level. If we're gone for a week or more, we'll check chlorine and pH at the halfway point and adjust as needed (I'll add a jug of LC to his pool, he'll toss a bag of cal hypo into mine).

Have been following this approach for a few years now with no issues.

Reactions: Newdude and kul
Hello,
looking for some guidance on pool chemicals while away for vacation. I was thinking about adding the liquid chlorine the night before I leave, then place 2-3 chlorine pucks in the floater, but not sure if this will work since we have never left the pool unattended like this for more than just a couple of days. I also have a neighbor lined up who is willing to add LQ every other day.

Appreciate any tips.

thanks,
Not 2-3 tablets, fill it completely. Enjoy your vacation and don't worry about the pool too much.
I have actually talked to two different repair techs who did work on my equipment about SWCG and both of them said, it's not worth the investment as it still requires continuously checking and filling with product. I am sure it beats having to buy LQ every week.

Not sure what needs to be checked on a SWG or added regularly, other than yearly adding a bit of salt and an occasional cleaning if needed. Of course the pool will still need maintenance, but you wouldn't be worrying about adding chlorine while gone if you had one.

Reactions: kul and Newdude