Portland, Oregon
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-15
Went to turn on our pool filter and pump and no pressure. There was also a lot of water on the floor and pretty significant water loss out of the pool. After some investigation, it looked like one of these tubes (connected at the top of the pipe to the heater (circled at top of picture) had disconnected from the bottom (main drain?), circled at the bottom right. I tried to reconnect it, but part of the tubing at the bottom actually broke off.

I'm not totally clear the purpose of any of this but am hoping folks can give some help on:
1. How do I or can I easily replace that tubing? The top also appears to be degraded and about to break off.
2. Any ideas on what the purpose of this is?
3. There's a valve at the bottom coming out of the other side of the main drain (circled on left) which had been set to 2. Any idea on whether I need to keep this open or closed?

Thanks for any insight or advice folks may have. Trying to save another service visit, but also would really like to have good understanding of my current system. We can't run the pump/filter right now as we lose too much water and it's flooding the pool room floor.

Attachments

• IMG_0316.JPG
    IMG_0316.JPG
    587.3 KB · Views: 11
Went to turn on our pool filter and pump and no pressure. There was also a lot of water on the floor and pretty significant water loss out of the pool. After some investigation, it looked like one of these tubes (connected at the top of the pipe to the heater (circled at top of picture) had disconnected from the bottom (main drain?), circled at the bottom right. I tried to reconnect it, but part of the tubing at the bottom actually broke off.

I'm not totally clear the purpose of any of this but am hoping folks can give some help on:
1. How do I or can I easily replace that tubing? The top also appears to be degraded and about to break off.
2. Any ideas on what the purpose of this is?
3. There's a valve at the bottom coming out of the other side of the main drain (circled on left) which had been set to 2. Any idea on whether I need to keep this open or closed?

Thanks for any insight or advice folks may have. Trying to save another service visit, but also would really like to have good understanding of my current system. We can't run the pump/filter right now as we lose too much water and it's flooding the pool room floor.
That "tube" is a 1.5" Mission clamp that should never be used in that application. It should be removed, especially since someone drilled a hole in it to install the feed for that tablet dispenser. Those two pipes should be glued with a PVC coupler if the ends haven't been distorted by the pressure of the Mission clamp, which is highly likely being that close to the heater (if it has been in use).
If you decide to use another clamp, be sure it is a Mission clamp, not just a "no-hub" coupler. They look the same but aren't, the band will be stainless steel and not corrugated. It also must be sized for 1.5" PVC pipe, not copper.

That "tube" is a 1.5" Mission clamp that should never be used in that application. It should be removed, especially since someone drilled a hole in it to install the feed for that tablet dispenser. Those two pipes should be glued with a PVC coupler if the ends haven't been distorted by the pressure of the Mission clamp, which is highly likely being that close to the heater (if it has been in use).
If you decide to use another clamp, be sure it is a Mission clamp, not just a "no-hub" coupler. They look the same but aren't, the band will be stainless steel and not corrugated. It also must be sized for 1.5" PVC pipe, not copper.
Thank you so much. The heater has been in use. There's another mission clamp in another part of the PVC pipe out of view closer to the sand filter. Sounds like maybe I need to get someone in to do more work than I originally thought. I hate to start removing things only to find I'm in way over my head. Any thoughts on just capping those tube ends interim so I can use our filter/pump until I can get someone out?

Thank you so much. The heater has been in use. There's another mission clamp in another part of the PVC pipe out of view closer to the sand filter. Sounds like maybe I need to get someone in to do more work than I originally thought. I hate to start removing things only to find I'm in way over my head. Any thoughts on just capping those tube ends interim so I can use our filter/pump until I can get someone out?
If you are talking about the tiny black tubing from the chlorinator, cut it an fold it over on itself. Use something, like a wire, to keep it folded over It shouldn't leak.