Top shell of Sta-Rite System 2 PLM100 Modular Media Filter cannot be removed

Lucien

Aug 18, 2022
Racine, Wisconsin
After losing both pump and filter last summer I replaced them both with used equipment. My bad. I am now stuck with a leaky pump that is far too powerful for my above ground and a Sta-rite System 2 Modular Media Filter that I cannot open. The filter cartridge is in dire need of replacement though. Not going to happen. Short of reattaching the Posi-loc, turning the pump back on and waiting for my neighbors to call the police after the shell pops off, or venting my frustrations via sledge hammer and crowbar, I am as seriously stuck as the lid of my filter. The bush-pilot of a pool tech who sold me this monstrosity of a set-up told me I would never have to open it (the Sta-rite) as the psi would never reach critical...and that was after he and three other guys struggled for nearly an hour to close the darn thing after replacing the cartridge that was in there when it was sold to me, as is. I should have known better than to believe him. What I think happened is that the o-ring keeping the two parts together melted, froze; contracted and expanded, and then vacuum-sealed the deal with sludge. Now I am using my sump pump to circulate the dirty water in my pool along with the algaecide and pool shock...so my question is really simple -- how do I get the lid off the filter so that I can exchange the filter cartridge? Any life hacks? At this point I am starting to think I should just buy everything new.

After losing both pump and filter last summer I replaced them both with used equipment. My bad. I am now stuck with a leaky pump that is far too powerful for my above ground and a Sta-rite System 2 Modular Media Filter that I cannot open. The filter cartridge is in dire need of replacement though. Not going to happen. Short of reattaching the Posi-loc, turning the pump back on and waiting for my neighbors to call the police after the shell pops off, or venting my frustrations via sledge hammer and crowbar, I am as seriously stuck as the lid of my filter. The bush-pilot of a pool tech who sold me this monstrosity of a set-up told me I would never have to open it (the Sta-rite) as the psi would never reach critical...and that was after he and three other guys struggled for nearly an hour to close the darn thing after replacing the cartridge that was in there when it was sold to me, as is. I should have known better than to believe him. What I think happened is that the o-ring keeping the two parts together melted, froze; contracted and expanded, and then vacuum-sealed the deal with sludge. Now I am using my sump pump to circulate the dirty water in my pool along with the algaecide and pool shock...so my question is really simple -- how do I get the lid off the filter so that I can exchange the filter cartridge? Any life hacks? At this point I am starting to think I should just buy everything new.
Leave the posi-loc clamp ring off, open the air relief, turn the pump on briefly. Be ready to shut it off the instant the lid starts to move. If there is no air in the tank the lid won't go far. The lid should come off. Get a new O ring for the filter, though you may not be able to put it back together as the first time.

Leave the posi-loc clamp ring off, open the air relief, turn the pump on briefly. Be ready to shut it off the instant the lid starts to move. If there is no air in the tank the lid won't go far. The lid should come off. Get a new O ring for the filter, though you may not be able to put it back together as the first time.
Well, that worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip! The O-ring seems fine too. Super tight around the lid. No damage. Of course, I haven't put it all back together again. Not yet, anyway. So far so good.