Kansas City, Missouri
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
As a bit of background, since I don't know what will help: My pool was built last year, and the builder initially installed the wrong equipment (i.e., a salt system was specified, but they installed a chlorine system). So, after the season ended last November, and the pool was closed, the builder came and installed the SWG (they did leave the chlorine dispenser in place). Since the pool was closed when they did this, I wasn't aware that they had not programmed the Omnilogic controller, so I had to do that myself when I opened the pool last week. As far as I can tell, I got everything programmed correctly...the pump works, lights work, everything is going fine. However, the SWG doesn't seem to do anything. I've watched it for days, and the instant salt reading is always 0 PPM. After reading various SWG-related posts here on TFP, I thought it was because the water temp had been too cold (under 60 degrees), but today the water got to 70 and I still get no instant salt reading on from the SWG. I set it to run 100% of the time, no change. Currently, the readings are:

cell temp range: 50-120 F
Cell temp: 70.1 F
instant salt: 0 ppm
average salt: 2800 PPM (this mystifies me, because it's never given an instant reading, and as I understand the average reading is just the average of instant readings)
salt monitoring: standard
cell type: T-Cell-9
cell voltage: 34.52 V
cell current: 0.00 A
Board temp: 79.1 F
relay polarity: OFF

So, I feel like the programming is okay because the diagnostics are showing the water temp and voltage to the SWG, but there's no cell current and never any instant salt reading. It does show an average salt reading, but I also tried unplugging the unit, and re-programming the controller, and the average salt reading didn't change (I expected it to go to 0...but that was a guess on my part).

I'm not sure what to do from here. Any suggestions as to where I go from here? This is my first pool, and I really have no idea what I'm doing :).

As a bit of background, since I don't know what will help: My pool was built last year, and the builder initially installed the wrong equipment (i.e., a salt system was specified, but they installed a chlorine system). So, after the season ended last November, and the pool was closed, the builder came and installed the SWG (they did leave the chlorine dispenser in place). Since the pool was closed when they did this, I wasn't aware that they had not programmed the Omnilogic controller, so I had to do that myself when I opened the pool last week. As far as I can tell, I got everything programmed correctly...the pump works, lights work, everything is going fine. However, the SWG doesn't seem to do anything. I've watched it for days, and the instant salt reading is always 0 PPM. After reading various SWG-related posts here on TFP, I thought it was because the water temp had been too cold (under 60 degrees), but today the water got to 70 and I still get no instant salt reading on from the SWG. I set it to run 100% of the time, no change. Currently, the readings are:

cell temp range: 50-120 F
Cell temp: 70.1 F
instant salt: 0 ppm
average salt: 2800 PPM (this mystifies me, because it's never given an instant reading, and as I understand the average reading is just the average of instant readings)
salt monitoring: standard
cell type: T-Cell-9
cell voltage: 34.52 V
cell current: 0.00 A
Board temp: 79.1 F
relay polarity: OFF

So, I feel like the programming is okay because the diagnostics are showing the water temp and voltage to the SWG, but there's no cell current and never any instant salt reading. It does show an average salt reading, but I also tried unplugging the unit, and re-programming the controller, and the average salt reading didn't change (I expected it to go to 0...but that was a guess on my part).

I'm not sure what to do from here. Any suggestions as to where I go from here? This is my first pool, and I really have no idea what I'm doing :).
Did you add salt to the water? (Sorry if its a dumb question). There needs to be ~3500ppm salt for it to work. The equipment cant measure salinity accurately so you need a reliable salt test kit.

Did you add salt to the water? (Sorry if its a dumb question). There needs to be ~3500ppm salt for it to work. The equipment cant measure salinity accurately so you need a reliable salt test kit.
Yes I did, I added six bags yesterday. I wanted to start there and add more if needed. According to my builder it's a 9500 gallon pool (30ft. By 15ft, 3' shallow end and 6' deep end), so Google told me it would need 6-9 bags. I started at 6 because I figured adding would be easier than taking it away. Do you think I should add more salt?

Yes I did, I added six bags yesterday. I wanted to start there and add more if needed. According to my builder it's a 9500 gallon pool (30ft. By 15ft, 3' shallow end and 6' deep end), so Google told me it would need 6-9 bags. I started at 6 because I figured adding would be easier than taking it away. Do you think I should add more salt?
6x40lb bags should get you to 3000ppm. That should be enough to at least have it work a little bit. May need to wait for someone more experienced with that cell to help debug it.

I could say to check the flow switch to make sure enoigh water is flowing through it. Got a picture of the equipment pad?

Last edited:
6x40lb bags should get you to 3000ppm. That should be enough to at least have it work a little bit. May ned to wait for someone more expeireiced with that cell to help debug it.

I could say to check the flow switch to make sure enoigh water is flowing through it. Got a picture of the equipment pad?
I do, but the site won't let me upload them, I'll have to try later when I have a computer handy. I went ahead a put more salt in it...we'll see if that does anything. I appreciate your input!

I tested my salt and am at 4,000. The water is at 67 degrees and the salt cell is still doing nothing. I broke down and called several pool companies for someone to come have a look, and nobody is interested. I'm thinking, at this point, that I'll just use chlorine and call the salt cell a loss.

I tested my salt and am at 4,000. The water is at 67 degrees and the salt cell is still doing nothing. I broke down and called several pool companies for someone to come have a look, and nobody is interested. I'm thinking, at this point, that I'll just use chlorine and call the salt cell a loss.
Did you test with a Taylor K1766 like above? Can uou post some pictures of any lights that are on in the cell?