wolf party

May 18, 2024
FL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I set up an 18' vinyl AGP in March and have been taking care of it with the help of pool school and the calculator. It's been pretty easy so far. Problem is, I get an itchy rash whenever I swim. Mostly on my face/neck/chest.
I did a shock and level a few days ago, just in case I had some funk growing, and brushed and scrubbed everything real good.

After swimming today... itchy again.
FC: 5
CC: 0
pH: 7.4
TA: 140
CYA: 50

I do rinse when I get out. I do not react this way to my tap water/shower (3-4ppm monochloramine!). It has to be something with the pool... or maybe it's just a heat/sun rash? Water is about 90 right now. I wear a big brimmed hat and a rash guard though. Thoughts?

Welcome to TFP.

Do you get itchy when swimming in other pools?

How do you chlorinate your pool? What liquid chlorine products do you use?

I set up an 18' vinyl AGP in March and have been taking care of it with the help of pool school and the calculator. It's been pretty easy so far. Problem is, I get an itchy rash whenever I swim. Mostly on my face/neck/chest.
I did a shock and level a few days ago, just in case I had some funk growing, and brushed and scrubbed everything real good.

After swimming today... itchy again.
FC: 5
CC: 0
pH: 7.4
TA: 140
CYA: 50

I do rinse when I get out. I do not react this way to my tap water/shower (3-4ppm monochloramine!). It has to be something with the pool... or maybe it's just a heat/sun rash? Water is about 90 right now. I wear a big brimmed hat and a rash guard though. Thoughts?
How is the water being tested?

Welcome to TFP.

Do you get itchy when swimming in other pools?

How do you chlorinate your pool? What liquid chlorine products do you use?

I haven't swam in another pool in many years so I honestly don't remember. I'm using Pool Essentials 10% liquid

How is the water being tested?
Taylor FAS-DPD chlorine, Hanna pH probe, alk test from a generic 5-way kit and CYA I calculated by adding 72oz of trichlor

Get a full test kit - Taylor K2006C or TFT Test Kits

Your CYA estimate may be way off and your active chlorine can be a lot higher.

You need to have reliable and accurate water chemistry to know what is going on.

Get a full test kit - Taylor K2006C or TFT Test Kits

Your CYA estimate may be way off and your active chlorine can be a lot higher.

You need to have reliable and accurate water chemistry to know what is going on.
I have some strips that put it in the 30-50 range also. I'll look into getting the CYA test separately, thanks.

At once ? That's 74 FC or so. (Using a spitball 6700 gallons for 18ft round / 3.5 ft deep).

Hahaha no, with an 8oz puck once a week or so

Reactions: newdude
Well, I went swimming last night and no itch. It may just be sun, sweat, a reaction to some skin/hair product , or something like that. I'll update if anything changes (and when I get that CYA test).

It could very easily be another product. I personally get an itchy rash if I use aerosol sunscreen.

Reactions: wolf party

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support