Mar 23, 2024
San Diego
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone,

I'm seeking your expert help in identifying what belongs in the skimmer pictured below, or what I could fit in there to avoid going straight from the pool to the pump. At some point I'll need to have this pool redone, but I'm looking for temporary improvement that can last a couple years.

I've looked around here and elsewhere and cannot find any similar setup... I assume this pool is at least 30 years old. The metal ring seen sits slightly below the top of the PVC intakes 90º elbow, it's just under 18" diameter, and slightly offset from the lid opening. I have weir door on its way already.

Screenshot 2024-05-18 at 09.08.49.png

Screenshot 2024-05-18 at 09.09.16.png

Screenshot 2024-05-18 at 09.12.24.png

I appreciate any input and suggestions you can provide! Thanks in advance!

What are you trying to improve?

Get some plastic mesh in the garden department and form a cap over the pipe end and secure it with some tie wraps to prevent debris from getting sucked into the pipe. It will act like a skimmer basket.

Reactions: oocciinn
What are you trying to improve?

Get some plastic mesh in the garden department and form a cap over the pipe end and secure it with some tie wraps to prevent debris from getting sucked into the pipe. It will act like a skimmer basket.
Thanks ajw22.

I'm wondering what was originally in there, it seems like something is supposed to sit on that ring.

I'm trying to limit the amount of debris getting to the pump basket and filter, and have an easy way to collect that debris. Good suggestion on adding some mesh to the pipe, I'll do that right now!

Hi everyone,

I'm seeking your expert help in identifying what belongs in the skimmer pictured below, or what I could fit in there to avoid going straight from the pool to the pump. At some point I'll need to have this pool redone, but I'm looking for temporary improvement that can last a couple years.

I've looked around here and elsewhere and cannot find any similar setup... I assume this pool is at least 30 years old. The metal ring seen sits slightly below the top of the PVC intakes 90º elbow, it's just under 18" diameter, and slightly offset from the lid opening. I have weir door on its way already.

I appreciate any input and suggestions you can provide! Thanks in advance!
Skimmer ball.
1716055207148.png
Could be this basket (Aladdin B-4), measure the area where the basket would sit:
1716055278637.png

Thanks ajw22.

I'm wondering what was originally in there, it seems like something is supposed to sit on that ring.

I'm trying to limit the amount of debris getting to the pump basket and filter, and have an easy way to collect that debris. Good suggestion on adding some mesh to the pipe, I'll do that right now!
Not a B-4 (8.5"). More likely a B-26 that is 16.5" in diameter. International (International Balance Flow) pool skimmer that likely had an array of DE grids below the basket. If so, it is a plastic-coated wire basket that runs between $120.00 - $220.00 depending on who actually has it. They are very rare now.