Serious Pool Leakage

HTM

Apr 2, 2021
SE Pennsylvania
Subject pool is a 1960's Sylvan inground pool approx. 40,000 gallons. Tapered sides, heavily built.
The old Purex 60 sq ft DE filter fitted with bottom backwash valve failed. Multiple pin hole leaks in the tank. I used the next several weeks on deferred maintenance. Pool drained and cleaned. Cracks in the shell sidewall ground out, filled with Planitop XS and prepared for painting. Two coats of good quality chlorinated rubber paint adhered well. Cracks were secure. Pool interior looked new.
I gradually filled the pool to just below the skimmers. Filter replacement is on hold as we're seeing the water level slowly but surely drop. I dread
having to drain the pool again but do not have a solution. Some points to share that may be helpful:
1. Just before first pool water delivery, we noticed weepage where a new pool plug was installed.
2. A line at the drain under the shell bottom and up side wall to bottom of skimmer is blocked. Isn't connected to skimmer outlet. I was advised to plug
this line in drain bottom with a rubber stopper.
3. Prior seasons, pool pump (gravity fed) operated without needing water level to be above skimmer entry.
Suggestions/recommendations from TFP contributors would be welcome. Thank you.

Subject pool is a 1960's Sylvan inground pool approx. 40,000 gallons. Tapered sides, heavily built.
The old Purex 60 sq ft DE filter fitted with bottom backwash valve failed. Multiple pin hole leaks in the tank. I used the next several weeks on deferred maintenance. Pool drained and cleaned. Cracks in the shell sidewall ground out, filled with Planitop XS and prepared for painting. Two coats of good quality chlorinated rubber paint adhered well. Cracks were secure. Pool interior looked new.
I gradually filled the pool to just below the skimmers. Filter replacement is on hold as we're seeing the water level slowly but surely drop. I dread
having to drain the pool again but do not have a solution. Some points to share that may be helpful:
1. Just before first pool water delivery, we noticed weepage where a new pool plug was installed.
2. A line at the drain under the shell bottom and up side wall to bottom of skimmer is blocked. Isn't connected to skimmer outlet. I was advised to plug
this line in drain bottom with a rubber stopper.
3. Prior seasons, pool pump (gravity fed) operated without needing water level to be above skimmer entry.
Suggestions/recommendations from TFP contributors would be welcome. Thank you.
If there was something weeping before filling it up then its not waterproof.

Let the pool leak and see where the water stabilizes.

Then use pool dye or Mrs. Stewarts to find where thew ater is flowing out...

1711323667110-png.560502