Robotic Vaccums: What gotchas are there?

AZ Swimmer

Jun 10, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
I have a pool that was originally built with an in-floor cleaning system - it doesn't really work. I bought a pool vac that I use and like, but I have to run it through the skimmer which means that all of the surface debris goes straight to the pump strainer. I've been looking at robotic/cordless vacuums, but I was thinking that they wouldn't be effective since the organics (algae, et. al.) don't go through the filter. If I run a robotic vacuum and open up the floor drains a little more, is the motion of the vacuum enough to stir up all of the tiny debris and run it through the filter?

but I have to run it through the skimmer which means that all of the surface debris goes straight to the pump strainer
Get a skimmer vac plate and everything will be caught by the skimmer basket. There's only a few sizes and it's pretty easy to figure out which one you need, like This one.

Or get an inline canister Filter for the vac hose.
but I was thinking that they wouldn't be effective since the organics (algae, et. al.) don't go through the filter
Chemistry is what handles organics, not the filter. The filter removes debris and will do so at its normal schedule with or without a robot. Anything the robot misses will be stirred up and more likely to find its way to the filter.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZ Swimmer
AZ,

The filter is not there to scoop up algae. But the time the filter sees algae, it is too late, you have already lost the algae war.. :mrgreen:

Algae is a chemical issue and not a mechanical issue.

If you are buying a robot to clean up algae, I suggest that you just save your money..

If you are buying a robot to help clean all the junk that falls into your pool and sinks, then I think that a robot would rock.. :mrgreen:

I have three pools and three robots, so I am a big fan. Then main downside to a robot is the initial cost and the fact that they are (more or less) consumable. They tend to last 3 to 5 years.

Because you most likely have that Arizona dust storm "fallout", I would recommend the S200 "Style" Dolphin robot. You can fancier ones, with the bells and whistles, but they won't clean any better, and it will last just as long. Dolphin sells the same basic robot under many different names, the initial one was S200..

I suggest you contact Marina Pool and Spa for the best price, delivery and service. Margaret can help you decide which robot you want.

Margaret Mills
Marina Pool, Spa & Patio
7777 West Jewell Avenue
Lakewood, Colorado 80232
303-985-0077
[email protected]

You have to call or use e-mail to make it an instore sale. They get busy, so you will have to hang in there.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have a pool that was originally built with an in-floor cleaning system - it doesn't really work. I bought a pool vac that I use and like, but I have to run it through the skimmer which means that all of the surface debris goes straight to the pump strainer. I've been looking at robotic/cordless vacuums, but I was thinking that they wouldn't be effective since the organics (algae, et. al.) don't go through the filter. If I run a robotic vacuum and open up the floor drains a little more, is the motion of the vacuum enough to stir up all of the tiny debris and run it through the filter?
The water goes through a filter (or two) inside the robot. And they’re much more fine than the basket in the return. You open the robot and Clean it out every few uses.
I too had a manual vacuum through my returns. Robots are game changers!

You might be ok with a cordless since you’re used to having to manually vacuum and won’t mind pulling it out, charging, putting back in.
Those of us who had corded tend not to like cordless and we have one that has a programmable cycle and automatically cleans every day.
Know this - lifespan tends to be 3 years on robots. So plan for it.
You def want one with a swivel cord. Don’t expect it to climb steps. You want it to climb walls and scrub the waterline.
The ones with wifi/Bluetooth aren’t really necessary.

I had a warrior SI and got 3 years out of it. Paid around $1000. I’m looking for my next robot as this manual Crud is for the birds! Part replacement is around $700.

Oddly enough, the cordless se to be less expensive than corded.

Reactions: AZ Swimmer
Just a couple of notes: First, thank you for your responses. Next, sorry for the confusion, I don't expect the filter to catch live algae, but there is a temperature band here in AZ where I'll occasionally get some algae and I'll up the chlorine, or SLAM to take care of it. Of course the algae is only noticeable in the few spots the vacuum doesn't reach, which means that algae is going through the filter. Also, the dead algae, after shock/SLAM still need to be filtered out. That was my only concern. Looks like, though, that the robot has it's own filters that are finer than my pool filter, so it sounds like a robot is a good alternative for me.

Get a skimmer vac plate and everything will be caught by the skimmer basket. There's only a few sizes and it's pretty easy to figure out which one you need, like This one.

Or get an inline canister Filter for the vac hose.

Chemistry is what handles organics, not the filter. The filter removes debris and will do so at its normal schedule with or without a robot. Anything the robot misses will be stirred up and more likely to find its way to the filter.
Thank you for your reply. I always thought the vac plates were used without the skimmer basket. I see how it works now, it just uses the suction going through the skimmer without having to have a direct connection to suction.

1692288479332.png

Reactions: newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.