Rates and times for pool vs spa filtration/circulation

GilesM

Feb 19, 2024
Oregon
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I have finally figured out iAqualink and set the dip switch so I can control spillover mode. The pool was previously set up to filter 8 hours per day in spillover mode at 2750 RPM which is about 70gpm (according to FlowVis) which works out to about 1.5 pool volumes through the filter per day. Of course pH crept up with the spillover on all the time. I need to check but I think 2250 RPM would be around 50 GPM or 1.1 pool volumes per day. Indoor pool is pretty clean water anyhow.

My proposed new setup:
  • pool filtration 7 hours per day at 2250 RPM / 50 GPM. Floor sweepers work in this mode although not much dirt to sweep.
  • spillover mode 1 hour per day at 2250 RPM / 50 GPM to mix and to filter spa. 600g spa so 5 spa volumes per day.
Does this sound like about the right mix?

Thanks

As you read more on TFP and our methodologies you will find that no one focuses on turnover volume.
The pump is run for specific reasons such as
1. Activate the flow switch on a SWCG and produce sufficient chlorine to offset the daily loss of chlorine. this is usually at the lowest speed setting/flow rate needed to create chlorine
2. Skim the pool - this may be at a higher speed setting to cause good flow into your skimmer
3. Mix chemicals - if you are adding liquid chlorine or MA, then run the pump a minimum of 30 mins to mix, however salt and CYA may take 24 hrs to mix
4. Run the spillover - some run the spillover twice a day but only for 30 mins to refresh the spa.

Whether that is a total of 8 hrs or 12 hrs or 24 hrs total time, the pump is run for specific duties. Each pool is a different volume and has different requirements so targeting a turnover rate may not fit the needs of the pool.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: Darin
My daily chlorine loss is minimal and TruChlor has a wide rate range so that's not an issue. Same for skimming - pool is clean. No liquid chemicals.

Sounds like I could reduce run time to even less.

My daily chlorine loss is minimal and TruChlor has a wide rate range so that's not an issue. Same for skimming - pool is clean. No liquid chemicals.

Sounds like I could reduce run time to even less.
You should not use granular acid with a SWCG. Just thought I mention that as you said you do not use liquid chemicals.
Do you have the PoolMath app? It has some nice features to track your test results but more importantly how to set your SWCG based on variables of pump run time, % SWCG setting and FC ppm needed. You can download the free version or have the full version for $8 per year - it is a great value.