Champaign, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hi, everyone. I’m dealing with a small outbreak of algae. This is my first experience with it, so I have a couple of questions.

We accidentally left the chlorine generator off on our SWG and, with weather too cool to swim, I didn’t pay much attention to the pool. That was a mistake.

Yesterday morning I found some small patches of algae at the bottom of the pool. I immediately began the SLAM process. Unfortunately, I misread the instructions for slamming, and only raise the chlorine to eight by the middle of the day. Rereading things in the afternoon and realizing that with a CYA of 70 I needed to get the chlorine up to 28, I added what bleach I had on hand to bring the FC level to 22, where it stands this morning.

I have a couple of questions:

1/ The water is clear and I don’t see any algae this morning. Given that it was a small outbreak, do I need to go ahead and raise the chlorine level to 28? The information I could glean from the slam procedure indicates that it’s designed for green water, a large outbreak of algae, rather than a few small spots, which is what we had.

2/ my second question asked to do with the safe swimming levels for free chlorine. I read that as long as the FC is below the slam level it’s OK for folks to swim in the pool. I believe that was from a thread from 2016. Is this accurate?

We have folks coming over to swim in about 36 hours, so while I want to murder the algae as quickly and completely as possible, I also want our pool to be usable tomorrow afternoon.

Thank you so very much.

Reactions: SunkissedByTheSea
1 - Algae can be present even if the water appears clear. Best to ensure you pass all 3 SLAM criteria before stopping. The Overnight Chlorine Loss Test is one of those 3 tools.

2 - True. With a CYA of 70, as long as the FC does not exceed 28 you can be in there. :swim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.