Pump Upgrade options

pugant

Oct 10, 2021
Corte Madera, CA
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any help, I've learnt a ton here just from lurking all threads but hoping I can get some advice. I've currently got a 14k gallon pool that is in the process of being resurfaced, while the pool is out of action I want to make some adjustments to my pump/filter setup. I currently have a Hayward Max-Flo II 2HP pump that is quite noisy, so I was thinking about replacing it with a VSP. I've attached pictures of the plumbing, but I had the following questions
- The pump is currently on a piece of plywood on a concrete slab. Is there any vibration damping matts I should look into putting under the pump? It's also not bolted to the concrete slab, is this causing any extra noise?
- Do I need a new pump or would it be feasible to just replace the motor on this? I was looking at a calimar or a circupool smart flow, but also understand the B&D pump seems to work well. I'd love to get a VSP that has wifi control capabilities to make it easier to add chemicals and for cleaning.
- Ideally I'd love to just replace the pump without having to touch the plumbing, is this realistic?
- any other thoughts I should look at while I'm doing these updates? I have a cartridge filter and while it seems somewhat older, it's still functional so was going to leave it alone.
- The one way valve between the pump and the filter is also failing, would it make sense to replace the internals only or is it better to replace the whole thing?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Attachments

• 20240428_144159.jpg
    20240428_144159.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220226_135356.jpg
    20220226_135356.jpg
    671.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220226_135350.jpg
    20220226_135350.jpg
    625.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240428_144123.jpg
    20240428_144123.jpg
    591.8 KB · Views: 10
Hey there...welcome to posting, always nice to come out of hiding and get some personalized answers. :)

First thing *I*can answer is you *need* a new level equipment pad. It's cracked and falling under your equipment which must have some affect on equipment and pipes? Especially the pump. And your filter is long overdue for replacement. Did it blow up at sometime?

You're in California, so with your expensive electricity you would seriously benefit from a variable speed pump. For that size pool I reckon a 1.5hp pump will serve you well and at less cost than the 3hp ones. You'll be able to run it on low 24/7.

Sorry to say changing equipment requires some pipe cuts and repairs. Not hard, really.

As to controlling the system via phone, you'll need to install a automation system. That's something I'm clueless about.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any help, I've learnt a ton here just from lurking all threads but hoping I can get some advice. I've currently got a 14k gallon pool that is in the process of being resurfaced, while the pool is out of action I want to make some adjustments to my pump/filter setup. I currently have a Hayward Max-Flo II 2HP pump that is quite noisy, so I was thinking about replacing it with a VSP. I've attached pictures of the plumbing, but I had the following questions
- The pump is currently on a piece of plywood on a concrete slab. Is there any vibration damping matts I should look into putting under the pump? It's also not bolted to the concrete slab, is this causing any extra noise?
- Do I need a new pump or would it be feasible to just replace the motor on this? I was looking at a calimar or a circupool smart flow, but also understand the B&D pump seems to work well. I'd love to get a VSP that has wifi control capabilities to make it easier to add chemicals and for cleaning.
- Ideally I'd love to just replace the pump without having to touch the plumbing, is this realistic?
- any other thoughts I should look at while I'm doing these updates? I have a cartridge filter and while it seems somewhat older, it's still functional so was going to leave it alone.
- The one way valve between the pump and the filter is also failing, would it make sense to replace the internals only or is it better to replace the whole thing?

Thanks for any and all advice!
Being in California your options are limited to a variable-speed choice.
A Nidec Neptune NPTQ225 motor, a GO KIT1V with the seal and gaskets/O rings needed, would turn that pump into a completely programable VSP for about $625.00 - $750.00 depending on where you buy the motor. Your time clock would no longer be needed. That Max-Flo XL is a nice pump, I've installed several in VSP form, and no replumbing needed if you go that route.
Not sure why there is a check valve after the pump, it should be able to be deleted unless your pool is high above the equipment.
You don't get WIFI capabilities with Calimar/Circupool/B&D pumps. You can with a Pentair Intelliflow3 or a Hayward Omni950 (seldom seen) and a replumb and about 3X the cost. If it is worth it to you, they are great pumps.
Your filter looks fine if it isn't leaking. Just the normal deterioration of a tank like that from the Sun. Clean it, paint it, even with inexpensive HomeDepot spray paint, and you should get a good 5-10 years or more out of it. May need new cartridges, but those are way less expensive than a new filter.

Reactions: mknauss
The picture if of the filter, but it's not opened, there's no broken lid, that's just the label peeling off the side.

Another question - is there any value in the check valve? I'd like to put a flow meter in but don't think there's enough room for both.

The picture if of the filter, but it's not opened, there's no broken lid, that's just the label peeling off the side.

Another question - is there any value in the check valve? I'd like to put a flow meter in but don't think there's enough room for both.
No reason for that check valve unless the equipment is below the pool, but its not really hurting anything. If you want, replace it with a FlowVis check valve/flow meter. Since you have 1.5" plumbing, try here:

thanks! the equipment is above the pool, the check valve is broken so when I open the filter basket on the pump the water drains from the filter back into the pool, which means when I restart the pump the next time I need to bleed the air from the filter, I assume that's why it was there, but it's also not a big deal

thanks! the equipment is above the pool, the check valve is broken so when I open the filter basket on the pump the water drains from the filter back into the pool, which means when I restart the pump the next time I need to bleed the air from the filter, I assume that's why it was there, but it's also not a big deal
No need to "bleed air" from the filter. The internal air relief will always do that for you. The air relief is there so that, when cleaning, you release any pressure that might be in the system before opening the tank. Compressed air is dangerous. Doesn't happen often that air gets trapped in a filter, despite all the cautions you will read here about filters that explode, but it can. So open the air relief before cleaning the filter.
From time to time you can use it to see if there is a suction leak, or everyday if you want.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support