Wieldy

Mar 31, 2023
Central Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This is my second year with a pool. I have a Hayward sand filter. Over the winter the standpipe got damaged. I replaced it and started trying to open the pool.

I am running into two main issues.
  1. My pump won't prime all the way. l've checked for air leaks and have found none. If I switch from filter to recirculating mode it primes just fine, then I switch back to filter and looses 3 inches of water in the pump basket.
  2. After backwashing and rinsing the pool runs fine, then after about 1-2 hours I loose significant pressure to the jets and the skimmers are barely pulling any water in.
    This is with the pump running at 3000rpm

I've been battling these issues for a month now and I'm about to pull my hair out.

On top of that I was an idiot and tried to unscrew the pressure valve while the pump was running to see if there was any air and it shot out and cracked the multi port valve so l need to order a new one now.

Please, any help would be appreciated. I've called 4 different pool companies and they either haven't returned my calls or tell me they only install.

Some of what you are describing sounds like heavy organic products reducing your return key pressure and possibility causing back pressure at that pump. Can you post a full set of test results? Have you tried doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test by chance?

Some of what you are describing sounds like heavy organic products reducing your return key pressure and possibility causing back pressure at that pump. Can you post a full set of test results? Have you tried doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test by chance?
I’ll do a test tonight and post results in the morning.

Results right now:

FC: 19ish
CC: n/a (I’ll test this in the morning)
Ph: 7.6
TA: 70
Cya: 45

This is my second year with a pool. I have a Hayward sand filter. Over the winter the standpipe got damaged. I replaced it and started trying to open the pool.

I am running into two main issues.
  1. My pump won't prime all the way. l've checked for air leaks and have found none. If I switch from filter to recirculating mode it primes just fine, then I switch back to filter and looses 3 inches of water in the pump basket.
  2. After backwashing and rinsing the pool runs fine, then after about 1-2 hours I loose significant pressure to the jets and the skimmers are barely pulling any water in.
    This is with the pump running at 3000rpm

I've been battling these issues for a month now and I'm about to pull my hair out.

On top of that I was an idiot and tried to unscrew the pressure valve while the pump was running to see if there was any air and it shot out and cracked the multi port valve so l need to order a new one now.

Please, any help would be appreciated. I've called 4 different pool companies and they either haven't returned my calls or tell me they only install.
Texas Splash has the answer. If the circulation is good after a backwash, then slows in just an hour or 2, the filter is doing its job, taking stuff, that you may not even see, out of the water. Most likely algae (organics) that starts off white and if not killed turns green.
You may want to get some cellulose fiber and add a handful to the skimmer with a clean filter and the pump running. It will coat the top of the sand and help get the very fine stuff out faster. Needs to be done after each backwash until the water clears and the problem goes away.

Reactions: Wieldy
Texas Splash has the answer. If the circulation is good after a backwash, then slows in just an hour or 2, the filter is doing its job, taking stuff, that you may not even see, out of the water. Most likely algae (organics) that starts off white and if not killed turns green.
You may want to get some cellulose fiber and add a handful to the skimmer with a clean filter and the pump running. It will coat the top of the sand and help get the very fine stuff out faster. Needs to be done after each backwash until the water clears and the problem goes away.
That makes sense. I was not diligent last year at closing and the pool is a complete mess. I’ll try your suggestions and I guess, just keep at it.

Any idea on the priming issue? Or is that related?

Should I have to backwash everyday during this process?
Depends. After your first backwash, take note of the new (clean) pressure reading. Then monitor. Once it hit that 25% increase mark, it's time to backwash. So the time it takes to increase by 25% can vary.

Reactions: Wieldy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That makes sense. I was not diligent last year at closing and the pool is a complete mess. I’ll try your suggestions and I guess, just keep at it.

Any idea on the priming issue? Or is that related?
If a pump can't push the water out fast enough because of a dirty filter restricting flow it is vey difficult for it to prime. If you watch a VSP, when they first start it is with a sudden high-speed and to get water moving and then they slow and slowly build speed again. If that first burst of speed can't push water through the system, they struggle with getting a full prime.