Puffballs on bottom of pool

Sarah and Nate

Admin
In The Industry
Apr 20, 2022
Creedmoor, NC
Hi all, I’ve been dealing with these puffball looking shapes despite having decent water chemistry. I can’t net them out as they dissipate into dust when disturbed. I’m seeing them in this same spot in the pool daily. I brush them away and they’re back within 8 hours. My brain says algae but the SWG has been maintaining FC between 5 and 7 as far as I can tell. Plus they grow back overnight!
IMG_6067.jpeg
IMG_6066.jpeg
I started the season with a swamp due to some leaks that precluded my running the pump. In addition I’m between robot vacuums at the moment so have just been brushing. Water is pretty good looking and clear besides these.

At present:
FC 15.5
CC 0.5
TA 130
CH 75
CYA 50
Salt tests at 2500 but Hayward Aqua-Rite is happy (onboard reads at 2800)

I’ve been adding ~5 gallons of 12.5% LC a day to see if the puffballs dissipate. I’ve just backwashed sand filter as well.

That's a pile that's been dropped into the pool IMO, possibly made into a pile by the bottom current.

If you're passing the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test it's likely environmental which is common this time of year.

*edit. Jim Marty'd me with almost identical thoughts. So. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah yeah, I’m a busy guy and don’t have time to update my signature 😂
It’s a Pentair Triton II, the largest one (I think it’s TR-140)

That's a pile that's been dropped into the pool IMO, possibly made into a pile by the bottom current.

If you're passing the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test it's likely environmental which is common this time of year.

*edit. Jim Marty'd me with almost identical thoughts. So. :ROFLMAO:
Environmental like pollen? Its shape is just so peculiar. I’m no stranger to pollen but not pollen balls!

Wow! I don't think we have EVER seen that on the forum before.

It HAS to be organic so you would think chlorine would solve it permanently. Probably a type of mold rather than algae but chlorine would still be the answer.

Can you manually vac them up? How big is the affected area?

I’m no stranger to pollen but not pollen balls!
Maybe it's bird poo and not pollen. Or something *in* the bird poo. Or whatever else mother nature could have dumped in there.

If you pass the OCLT, it's not growing at the bottom of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get your robot cleaner, run it in the morning, and you would never know that stuff is in the pool.

Ignorance is bliss.

Out of sight, out of mind.

I'm now thinking the toddler doesn't like the new rice puffs you guys bought. Or he's feeding the imaginary fishies with them.

cdb571ef72cef20a0f5bb96b526bd072.gif

Wow! I don't think we have EVER seen that on the forum before.

It HAS to be organic so you would think chlorine would solve it permanently. Probably a type of mold rather than algae but chlorine would still be the answer.

Can you manually vac them up? How big is the affected area?