Upstate NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
PoolMath is one of the few apps I pay for and it’s obviously indispensable!

One suggestion: to help in the math aspect, I think when you log a chemical addition, it should show the estimated impact on level. Then, when you’re scrolling through the Logs page, you can see you added say 7.3 FC or 800 PPM salt 5 days ago, as opposed to only seeing x gallons of bleach or y pounds of salt.

In the current state, I need to go back to Effects of Adding, type it in, remember the result, go back to the Logs page and then figure out if impact of the additions are matching what I’d expect with my latest test.

Not sure if this the right place to post this. Thanks again to the developers, it really is a great app!

@Leebo, FYI. Thank you for the input and nice feedback on the APP itself.
No problem! I’m not just trying to be nice either; most apps suck, this app both works and solves a need!

(Compare to the IntelliCenter app that sits right next to it and it’s not even close!)

May I try to get more insight into this suggestion……let’s take the FC

When looking at the logs and peaking at how many ppm of FC you added, what are you trying to learn? What’s your goal and how does knowing how many ppm of FC were added help you with that goal?

Reactions: blackout
What’s your goal and how does knowing how many ppm of FC were added help you with that goal?
If I understand correctly, and if not I'd like to add this to the list, is to combine effects of adding by the dosage amount at the bottom.

For example

Raise Ph 6.8 to 7.4.

Add 29 oz Borax
---‐-------------------------
***Effects of adding merged onto page***
--------------------------------
Raise Ph by .6
Raise Borates by 1.1
Raise TA by 2.6

So in my Logs page I currently have:

Today’s date
Test results: 11 FC

7 days ago 8:15 PM
Added 128 oz bleach

7 days ago 8 PM
Test results: 8 FC

When looking at this, I see I’m up net 3 FC over the last week but I also see that I added a gallon of bleach.

The math I want to see is 8, +6, 11, which would actually mean I’m net DOWN 3 FC (because I added 6 right after testing 8), which tells me my pool has been consuming about 0.43 FC/day over the last week.

The specific add that I think would be useful is to make the +128 oz bleach entry have a second line that says “+6.2 FC (est.)”. The app already is able to estimate this value (as in Effects of Adding) based on my pool volume.

Does that make sense? And thanks for inquiring!

Last edited:
So, here’s why I ask……

Adding the info from the “effects of adding” will be somewhat difficult to get the UI correct. That’ll be ALOT of space per tab on some items. That said, I am curious about your intentions once you’ve got this info as maybe it can be worked elsewhere into the App.

Let me ask this now,
which tells me my pool has been consuming about 0.43 FC/day over the last week.
Is something like this the end goal of this? How many PPM or whatever you’ve added over the last XYZ days/weeks/months?

Reactions: blackout and kul
Is something like this the end goal of this? How many PPM or whatever you’ve added over the last XYZ days/weeks/months?
This would be helpful. At this time I do my own calculation every time I add because I like to see how the weather and use affects the chlorine usage. Also helps me plan when I’m considering how much chlorine to purchase.

So, here’s why I ask……

Adding the info from the “effects of adding” will be somewhat difficult to get the UI correct. That’ll be ALOT of space per tab on some items. That said, I am curious about your intentions once you’ve got this info as maybe it can be worked elsewhere into the App.

Let me ask this now,

Good questions and thoughts! Yes, I guess my suggestion would double the real estate and with multiple additions it would get unwieldy — good call! I thought of it because I had all the timestamped datapoints I needed for my use case there on one screen, except I had ounces instead of the FC.

To your last question, I guess what I’m looking for is — specific to FC (the most volatile chemical level for me anyway) — from start date to end date, my FC went from X to Y, in between I added Z FC, and therefore net I am consuming N FC per day. Then I can react by cranking up my SWG or find what’s eating my FC. Or if I’m rising I can turn down the SWG.

You could even get real slick and say “since you’re losing N FC per day, consider increasing your SWG by X% or Y hours, or adding Z ounces of bleach per week” and pick off one more thought process!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good questions and thoughts! Yes, I guess my suggestion would double the real estate and with multiple additions it would get unwieldy — good call! I thought of it because I had all the timestamped datapoints I needed for my use case there on one screen, except I had ounces instead of the FC.

To your last question, I guess what I’m looking for is — specific to FC (the most volatile chemical level for me anyway) — from start date to end date, my FC went from X to Y, in between I added Z FC, and therefore net I am consuming N FC per day. Then I can react by cranking up my SWG or find what’s eating my FC. Or if I’m rising I can turn down the SWG.

You could even get real slick and say “since you’re losing N FC per day, consider increasing your SWG by X% or Y hours, or adding Z ounces of bleach per week” and pick off one more thought process!
As Marty mentioned above, have you looked at the Summary tab in the app? It basically has the first part of this. Example below; this is my pool last August.

DA228FC2-192C-4BE9-B974-1990DEC88B49.jpeg

I can see here I added ~ 82.8ppm over that 31 days, so figure I used ~ 2.7ppm per day.

Reactions: blackout and kul
As Marty mentioned above, have you looked at the Summary tab in the app? It basically has the first part of this. Example below; this is my pool last August.

View attachment 405622

I can see here I added ~ 82.8ppm over that 31 days, so figure I used ~ 2.7ppm per day.
I’m here to admit I’m an idiot and I’ve somehow never explored that page!

But like I said above, I’m more down the path of figuring out what I’m consuming in FC and what to do about it, not how much FC I’ve added in the past, if that makes sense.