Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Just a reminder for opening that if you open based on pool temperature instead of an arbitrary date, you won't open to a swamp. I open when the temp is above 60. It is currently hovering around 50. I figure 2-3 more weeks and I will open.

Swimming Pool Summer GIF by SPRITE Australia and New Zealand

I had time over the weekend when I saw lots of 60s on the extended forecast after this week. My new pool is all sun and hovers closer to the daytime highs so I soft opened under the cover. I'll probably pull the cover next weekend.

The Mrs who doesn't understand any of this was delighted to hear we'd be looking at the water soon.

I soft opened a few weeks ago when the water temperature hit 58F. I'm keeping the safety cover on until pollen season is over. Trying to decide if I will open fully in two weeks when I get back from a trip or in mid May when I get back from a second trip.

I had time over the weekend when I saw lots of 60s on the extended forecast after this week. My new pool is all sun and hovers closer to the daytime highs so I soft opened under the cover. I'll probably pull the cover next weekend.

The Mrs who doesn't understand any of this was delighted to hear we'd be looking at the water soon.
Let's get rolling New, I just opened today. Then it started to rain. Even mowed the gras twice already this year.

Mine is still super cold (checked it on Saturday it was like... 50F at best) though I did peek inside the cover (after draining the water from the top) and it's crystal clear this year. Last year the cover ripped during the winter and ruined the water but this year it's beautiful looking inside.

I did have an issue I never posted about on here where a piece of nut sedge grew and broke through my liner last august and I repaired the liner (followed the advice I saw on here about injecting roundup in the sand/hole it makes) but apparently my repair/patch wasn't strong enough as I noticed a couple of inches of water have leaked out.. it's not a lot, but it's below the skimmer (and above the return). No water anywhere at all around the pool that I can see so I'm 100% positive my patch failed me over the winter...

• Wow
Reactions: Wolfepack88
Mine is still super cold (checked it on Saturday it was like... 50F at best) though I did peek inside the cover (after draining the water from the top) and it's crystal clear this year. Last year the cover ripped during the winter and ruined the water but this year it's beautiful looking inside.

I did have an issue I never posted about on here where a piece of nut sedge grew and broke through my liner last august and I repaired the liner (followed the advice I saw on here about injecting roundup in the sand/hole it makes) but apparently my repair/patch wasn't strong enough as I noticed a couple of inches of water have leaked out.. it's not a lot, but it's below the skimmer (and above the return). No water anywhere at all around the pool that I can see so I'm 100% positive my patch failed me over the winter...
Sorry bro, hope you can get to it before it gets worse. Glad to hear the water is clear though!!

Reactions: DarkRider2k10
Thanks! I don't think it's too severe of a leak and thankfully it was only one piece that I saw but still frustrating. I have everything else ready to open the pool up so I'll post pics of it once I do pull the cover off. This week was all rain and flooding in the area so definitely thankful the cover is still on!

We opened last week. Water temp was 56°. We had some warm days and by Sunday, the water temp was 66°. We’ve had a lot of very warm days in Missouri all throughout the winter. Definitely time to open to avoid problems. I’d rather deal with pollen than algae!!

I always open about April 1st to April 7th. I keep a log since day 1 so I always check. My water is always low to mid 40’s. Today 44.

One year it was 37. lol. I always open as soon as we know the ground won’t freeze again based on night lows.

This year I was a little late cause we were in Disney last week but worked out good today even though it was a horrible week for rain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I open about a week after ice goes out on the local lake, approx. mid April. Many times still have bergs floating around in the pool.
This year, the winter had been non-existent, and ice out was VERY early - so I anticipate a swamp.....
So I will be spending time transferring color - getting green out of my pool, while trying to get green into my lawn....

I am still under 50. Another couple weeks. If we get a nice day soon I'll pull the top though. Today is too cold and too windy.

Good news is the pool will not need any water added the rain filled it. Amazing how much less evaporation I get with the cover on.

Reactions: Newdude
I'm still under 60 here in MI, but soon.....very soon. I am thinking (hoping) in a couple more weeks - the weather is doing its typical April shuffle, so temps are a bit all over the place still - I am hoping to see some stabilization soon.

the weather is doing its typical April shuffle, so temps are a bit all over the place still
Your extended forecast is looking good for no more deep freezes. If it hits 30 for a few hours a night here and there it won't freeze 40+ degree pool water. Mine jumped to 55 with no cover and full sun 2 days after pulling the cover.

Your extended forecast is looking good for no more deep freezes. If it hits 30 for a few hours a night here and there it won't freeze 40+ degree pool water. Mine jumped to 55 with no cover and full sun 2 days after pulling the cover.
Good point, and I don't mind running my pool with some liquid chlorine until it's warm enough to activate the SWG for its regular summer duties. I have a standing appointment with my pool company to remove my safety cover next weekend - I may just go ahead and fire everything up after they are done - I sure as heck prefer looking at the pool rather than the cover!

Good point, and I don't mind running my pool with some liquid chlorine until it's warm enough to activate the SWG for its regular summer duties. I have a standing appointment with my pool company to remove my safety cover next weekend - I may just go ahead and fire everything up after they are done - I sure as heck prefer looking at the pool rather than the cover!

I take my cover off myself and plan on doing it tomorrow. It is easy to take off and if you have a helper even easier. I'll recruit my son to help if I can pry him away from his video games.

I finally got around to using a drill on the anchors and OMG it was a game changer. I zipped about half in and the other half out, depending on tension of the spring.

I spun them 10 times each by hand for 12 years like a sucker.

After that, the cover is totally manageable with 2 people. I didn't want to wait for the Mrs and folded it, carried it to the front lawn and laid it out to dry, folded it again and put it away in the garage solo this year. I'm a big dude but 2 can definitely handle it.

I removed the safety cover yesterday from the pool. The water temperature is 67F. I'll vacuum the pool and start heating it since the forecast temperatures are in the 80s starting Monday. @Newdude, surprising you didn't use a drill before to raise or lower the anchors. My cover installer showed my the drill bit trick when the cover was installed.

Temps starting today in 70’s for extended forecast
Will be opening today and Sunday
Peaked under mesh cover Wed and water did not look to bad other then some worms and a few leaves along with the dirt that goes thru the mesh cover

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support