Pool liner replacement in two weeks

larry_larry

Mar 17, 2024
Western PA
After 20 years my pool liner needs replaced due to a slow leak that is gradually getting worse. The pool is a 28' x 52" round all aluminum above ground, still in very good shape. I went to the pool store where I purchased it and bought a new beaded liner, also picked up a skimmer and inlet. I was never happy with the original installation as there are many footprints under the liner and I feel they did a rush job. The pool store told me they didn't do installations or repair anymore, but referred me to a contractor they use. It looks like this will happen in about two weeks.

Questions:
The contractor said the pool had to be uncovered and empty when he arrived, and said it can take days to empty the pool. Is it safe to leave the pool empty a few days before he gets here? I was told once it could ruin a pool if there was not enough water in it over the winter, although I'm not sure if it just damages the liner.

I have a well, so he told me he will bring an inflatable pool and he could fill it with water from my well when he first arrives. He'll then remove the old liner, replace it and pump the water into the pool, also running water from the well to get at least a few inches in the pool. He said he couldn't leave until a few inches was in the pool. With the new liner, is it safe to leave the pool with a just a few inches of water in it? We can get water delivered, but they do not run on a set schedule as the water trucks are used for fracking in this area. I'm hoping I can get at least one truck within a day of the liner installation, and I think it will take 4 to fill the pool.

Thanks,
Larry

Welcome to TFP.

You have risks if a big storm blows through while the pool is empty or when you have a few inches of water in the pool.

Do the best you can to schedule it when here are no big storms coming up from the South.

Draining goes as fast as the pump you're using. (Providing the drain path can handle the volume).

1.6 HP submersible pumps are $83 on amazon and move close to 5k GPH when using the 1.5 inch discharge. Or rent an even bigger pump from HomeDepot (etc) that comes with the hoses.

Filling will take what it will take with only one option to choose from.

Thanks for the replies, we just had a big thunderstorm roll through here, but it's unusual for this time of year. I think I'll drain it down to about a foot and finish the rest a day or two before he gets here.

One more question, should the skimmer be installed and hole cut in the liner when it's nearly full, or can it be done anytime?

1) You should be able to drain the pool in a day or so. My similar sized one takes a day, with one sump pump and a 1" discharge hose

2) See if your builder can drop off the inflatable pool a day or two before hand. Then you can drain your pool into the inflatable pool. Saving you water, chemicals, and time. Also saving the installer time, as he can quickly use a sump pump to fill the pool after he puts in the liner

3) Try to schedule things when there are no storms. However for added piece of mind, you can stake out the pool. Get 8 tent stakes, 8 spring clamps (with rubber ends), and a good amount of rope. Tie the rope to the clamps, and clamp them to the top rail. Stake out the rope at about a 45 degree angle. Don't crank on it and make it banjo tight. Just snug it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.