Pool greenhorn needs guidance

I wonder what tolerances are acceptable in pool construction? I know it’s impossible to get anything perfect. There has to be a little acceptable fudge room, but where does that line cross into unacceptable.
If you click on the link in post 157, then it goes straight to the page on construction tolerances allowed for residential swimming pools. +/- 3 inches for length, width, depth.

Good luck just finished reading your story. I wish there was more legal protection for large projects like this with escrow accounts and third party approvals. It seems like last couple years contractors have all the control due to the limited supply. My pool builder left my property a mess and basically said I built a pool you can clean up the rest. Which included a dump truck full of crushed rock mixed with concrete so fun to clean up. Overall the pool is awesome but some of the things contractors get away with these days is pretty crazy.
Thanks I appreciate it. Yeah it seems like the consumer always gets the short end of the stick. I plan on withholding the last 80k+ until we get a satisfactory outcome. Fingers crossed!

The builder finally came by today to measure the pool. So he pulled a string across across the deep end. Then he measured from the deepest part of the pool to the string which was 103” (8’7”). He then said we may lose three or four inches from that, and that puts the deep about 8’3”. I asked him why it wasn’t measured from the middle of the skimmer? He said when they build the skimmer box it will be larger because of the auto cover and coping. I didn’t know enough about the topic so I couldn’t refute it.

Attached is a close up of the skimmer in the deep end. Please mark up and let me know what kind of response I should have if any. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• C755E65A-E0F2-4BCE-A3DA-994310E6D73C.jpeg
    C755E65A-E0F2-4BCE-A3DA-994310E6D73C.jpeg
    512.2 KB · Views: 12
If the string was pulled across the bond beam of the shell (no coping yet) - and your skimmer looks to be at the top of the bond beam, then you will need to subtract about 3-4" for the location of the water level - which is what he did. So to me, that seems like your water depth will be 8'3" - 8'4".

Reactions: clarkboy
sigh......................and gurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
1681588672077.jpeg
See where I put the light blue lines? THAT is the "middle of the skimmer opening". Yeah the skimmer box may stick up a bit BUT it will only be the opening at the top where no water is. Where the blue lines are is how deep your water will be for optimal skimmer action. He should NOT have run the line from the top of the wall. He is "fudging" the depth to save himself the labor and time of making your pool depth correct! Now YOU go run a line from the middle of the simmer and to the same on the other side (you should be able to measure from the floor right under the skimmer and then do the same on the other side so they match. If you have a line level you can use that to make sure you get it spot on). See how deep the WATER will be and go from there.

Go find some pics of finished pools that shows the skimmers. See if what I am saying is the truth so you can show HIM what you know to be right!

Reactions: newdude
The builder finally came by today to measure the pool. So he pulled a string across across the deep end. Then he measured from the deepest part of the pool to the string which was 103” (8’7”). He then said we may lose three or four inches from that, and that puts the deep about 8’3”. I asked him why it wasn’t measured from the middle of the skimmer? He said when they build the skimmer box it will be larger because of the auto cover and coping. I didn’t know enough about the topic so I couldn’t refute it.

Attached is a close up of the skimmer in the deep end. Please mark up and let me know what kind of response I should have if any. Thanks in advance!
In addition to the above responses, your side profile drawing shows 8'6" depth from the deep end wall extending out for 10 feet. Don't just measure at the deepest point. Measure all points in accordance with your profile drawing and see if you have the pool that is represented.

Where the blue lines are is how deep your water will be for optimal skimmer action. He should NOT have run the line from the top of the wall. He is "fudging" the depth to save himself the labor and time of making your pool depth correct!
I thought that was the case but wanted to confirm with the community first.

Now YOU go run a line from the middle of the simmer and to the same on the other side (you should be able to measure from the floor right under the skimmer and then do the same on the other side so they match.
Sorry, but how would you suggest I connect the line? Maybe with a few nails? I tried tape before and that didn’t work for me. I couldn’t pull the string tight enough.

Go find some pics of finished pools that shows the skimmers.
I did that earlier and I saw various water levels. I also watched a couple of YouTube videos and people in the industry ( pool techs and builders) pretty much validated what you said.

We’re not going to let this go until we get to the bottom of it. Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.