Pool Foundation Repair

Nov 4, 2017
boston
I have fairly large inground- concrete pool. I'm not entirely sure the correct terms, but its concrete with a vinyl liner.

I've noticed over the past 2 years, that the deep end seems to have entirely cracked horizontally, a few feet down, and potentially even slightly shifted. If you go down about 3/4 feet you can feel a small ridge along the wall that runs the whole deepend. I've actually noticed if I peel back the liner starting at the shallow end a long crack runs all the way through, to the deepend. It almost feels like one side of the crack has completely shifted by a half inch and is now misaligned.

So my question is.. is this fixable? who even performs these types of fixes? Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

Its getting time to change the liner again. Last time I did it was 9 years ago. Feels a little wasteful to do it now, but there are 2 really bad rips in the corner, and one rip underneath the skimmer. Just constantly repairing patches on those for the past 2 years. Feels like its time to just get a new one made. Vinyl honestly isn't expensive enough to justify constantly repairing this one.

I have fairly large inground- concrete pool. I'm not entirely sure the correct terms, but its concrete with a vinyl liner.

I've noticed over the past 2 years, that the deep end seems to have entirely cracked horizontally, a few feet down, and potentially even slightly shifted. If you go down about 3/4 feet you can feel a small ridge along the wall that runs the whole deepend. I've actually noticed if I peel back the liner starting at the shallow end a long crack runs all the way through, to the deepend. It almost feels like one side of the crack has completely shifted by a half inch and is now misaligned.

So my question is.. is this fixable? who even performs these types of fixes? Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

Its getting time to change the liner again. Last time I did it was 9 years ago. Feels a little wasteful to do it now, but there are 2 really bad rips in the corner, and one rip underneath the skimmer. Just constantly repairing patches on those for the past 2 years. Feels like its time to just get a new one made. Vinyl honestly isn't expensive enough to justify constantly repairing this one.
Got any pictures?

Draw what you feel/see on a wide angle shot so we have a better idea. If you go to any pic there is usually a crayon icon for drawing on it. For example :

Screenshot_20240401_105129_Gallery.jpg

Draw what you feel/see on a wide angle shot so we have a better idea. If you go to any pic there is usually a crayon icon for drawing on it. For example :

View attachment 561773

Okay got it. I can see if I have some pictures on my computer. I should have them.. (I live in New Hampshire and the pools currently covered/water is probably pond like if it wasnt).

Anyways, for what its worth, the crack is on the vertical wall in a deepend like this one. The deepend goes down to 10 feet and tapers just like this one does. The vertical walls are a little longer than this (although this could just be an illusion of the photo, but about 3/4 feet down there is a crack all along the wall like this

1711984890690.png

Reactions: newdude
It may be difficult to determine the extent of the needed fix thru pictures.
It may be best to have a few pool builders assess the damage and propose a permanent fix. Then run the proposed fixes by the forum for input. It may just need a small patch or require a most extensive structural repair.

Reactions: kul
Horizontal cracks in pool structures like you describe are often caused by lack of an expansion joint. Without an expansion joint between the deck and the pool the shifting ground puts pressure on the pool walls causing the cracks.

The damage and possible fixes can only be assessed once the liner is removed and the full extent of the cracks evaluated. And you need to see what the construction of the pool walls really is.

Reactions: proavia
Horizontal cracks in pool structures like you describe are often caused by lack of an expansion joint. Without an expansion joint between the deck and the pool the shifting ground puts pressure on the pool walls causing the cracks.

The damage and possible fixes can only be assessed once the liner is removed and the full extent of the cracks evaluated. And you need to see what the construction of the pool walls really is.

understandable.

The pool deck is just pavers, but on that side they've sunked down in which tells me the ground has basically pushed in.

Do you know who typically to contact for this type of work? is this usually fixable? I've struggled to find info on this at all...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you know who typically to contact for this type of work? is this usually fixable? I've struggled to find info on this at all...

Since this is possibly a structural issue with the pool itself, maybe start with a quality pool builder or 3 for your pool type. If the "fix" isn't done correctly it will just cause issues in the future.

Since this is possibly a structural issue with the pool itself, maybe start with a quality pool builder or 3 for your pool type. If the "fix" isn't done correctly it will just cause issues in the future.

Makes sense. Guessing this is going to get pricey very quick :(
I don't know how you repair a wall like that. Somehow much it back in? I've struggled to find any sort of similar repair or process to this online so I really have no clue.

Makes sense. Guessing this is going to get pricey very quick :(
I don't know how you repair a wall like that. Somehow much it back in? I've struggled to find any sort of similar repair or process to this online so I really have no clue.
If it’s really reinforced concrete, then can add staples to keep it from moving further but that’s only good if you figure out why it moved in the first place and stop that part. Lots of times it moves because of moisture getting into the soil.

Reactions: proavia
Depends if the wall is concrete blocks or poured concrete and if it has rebar in it. You will not know the what or how until a close examination can be made.

I would work backwards. You know you will need to eventually have a liner installed. So find the contractors in your area who do liner installs and talk with them. They should know who does various types of pool repairs in your area.

At some point you will need to shut your pool down, remove the old liner, and see the situation with your wall. The pool may sit empty for a while so be prepared to brace the walls with 2X4's while it is empty.

Reactions: proavia and Bperry
I know its poured, I'm assuming has rebar as well, its about 20 years old. Guessing this makes it even worse to repair...

But yeah makes sense.

Really depends on the structural integrity of the walls. The cracks can be stabilized and closed if the walls are stable.

There are a bunch of Youtube videos showing concrete staples being used to repair gunite cracks.

If the staple repairs are done properly with quality materials and an experienced crew it should hold stronger then the surrounding gunite.

At some point you will need to shut your pool down, remove the old liner, and see the situation with your wall. The pool may sit empty for a while so be prepared to brace the walls with 2X4's while it is empty.

I've heard pools collapsing which is part of my fear. It stays mostly filled yearround (below the skimmers when winterizing)

SO was going to wait for a profesional that knows how to handle that. If my fear is correct theres quite a bit of pressure on those walls

Really depends on the structural integrity of the walls. The cracks can be stabilized and closed if the walls are stable.

There are a bunch of Youtube videos showing concrete staples being used to repair gunite cracks.

If the staple repairs are done properly with quality materials and an experienced crew it should hold stronger then the surrounding gunite.
Gotcha. This pool isn't gunnite.. its concrete.. like a house foundation

This pool isn't gunnite.. its concrete.. like a house foundation

That is why I said it depends on the structural integrity of the walls.

If a wall is bowing there is no fix other then rebuilding it. It is more then a crack repair.

I think you may find that no contractor is willing to touch your pool other then to demo it and build you a new pool. No contractor is likely to be willing to give you any guarantee for a repair.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.