Gold Supporter
Dec 14, 2023
Safety Harbor, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My pH levels are always high. Not sure if this is normal or not. I’m adding about 200oz of MA per month according to my logs. My TA has been consistent around 50 but just dropped to 40. I thought if the TA was on the low end then pH wouldn’t rise so fast so often. I know I need to add baking soda to get back up to at least 50 but not sure how much more. I also need to get pH back to a lower amount. I typically target 7.2 knowing it will come up to 8 in a few days. Thoughts? Much appreciate the help!

My pH levels are always high. Not sure if this is normal or not. I’m adding about 200oz of MA per month according to my logs. My TA has been consistent around 50 but just dropped to 40. I thought if the TA was on the low end then pH wouldn’t rise so fast so often. I know I need to add baking soda to get back up to at least 50 but not sure how much more. I also need to get pH back to a lower amount. I typically target 7.2 knowing it will come up to 8 in a few days. Thoughts? Much appreciate the help!
Do you have water features, spillovers, etc running a lot? Those can aerate the water and cause pH to rise quickly, so try to limit the use of them.

Also, when your pH hits 8, let it hang out at 8 and don't knock it down until it gets above 8. Then knock it down to 7.4 or even 7.6 (instead of 7.2) to help preserve your TA.

When I lower my pH, it will quickly jump from 7.4 to 7.6, then hit 7.8 after a few days, then 8.0 a few days later. Then it will stabilize at 8.0 for weeks before I have to lower. That approach works well for my pool, my acid, and my sanity.

Wouldn’t know if pH was 8 or 8.2 or higher. Seems like it’s just bright pink and so I think it’s too high. That upper pH level on the scale is very subjective in my opinion but I might be trying to read it too critically. I’ve been testing nearly daily. If the test is anything below 8 I’m usually surprised. Basically I test it, it shows bright pink, I add MA and when I test it again, it’s back up to 8 or so. Maybe I’m trying too hard. Water looks great by the way. I think I just want all numbers across the board to be perfectly aligned and that might not be reasonable or even desirable lol

Btw I do not have any water features that might increase the aeration of the water. I have two returns that do tend to run toward the surface of the water line so that might aerate a little. Also, I can’t change the pump setting as the screen went out on it (something else to work on) so it runs higher than I’d like for the better part of the day before going down to a more reasonable level then shutting down for the night. Would running the pump too high contribute to the aeration and therefore pH levels? I’m also running the heater a bit these days so another process that impact what’s going on. Don’t know if those are impacting or not but provides a bit more of the big picture. Thanks again!

Fill water with pH of 8.2 and TA of 180 is a large part of your problem. You will never win the battle of keeping your pH in the low 7's.

You have yourself on the ph/TA equilibrium yo-yo knocking your pH down to 7.2 which lowers your TA for which you add baking soda which raises your TA which raises your pH and around and around you go.

Perfection is not the goal and unattainable with your fill water.

In your situation accept pH in the 7.8-8.0 range. Let your TA get to whatever number it wants. Do not add baking soda. Just use MA and lower your pH no lower then 7.6.

Frequent MA additions are part of your normal pool care routine.

Reactions: pjt
So leave TA at 40?

Yup.

Do you have an autofill on your pool?

Your fill water from evaporation will raise your TA back up.

And if you stop lowering your pH to 7.2 you will not further crash your TA.

Try to harvest as much rainwater as possible to minimize increasing TA and CH with fill water. TA of 50-60 and pH in the high 7s is fine. As your TA approaches 50, you need to be judicious with MA dosing so your TA doesn't go below 50.

As your TA approaches 50, you need to be judicious with MA dosing so your TA doesn't go below 50.

TA of 40 when pH is going into the 8's is ok.

If pH was staying in the low 7's with TA 40 we may discuss it.

Reactions: pjt

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support