Pentair ScreenLogic - CHANGE YOUR DEFAULT PASSWORDS!

ArtP

Apr 19, 2018
AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I had my Pentair Screenlogic system set up last summer when I had my pool remodeled. The pool builder demonstrated the remote connect capability through the app, which is pretty cool, but the default password of "1234" is incredibly insecure for something accessible from the World Wide Web. As an IT guy, my first thought was "I need to change this password ASAP."

Essentially, if you allow Internet access for the remote connect on your ScreenLogic, and haven't changed that default password, anyone, anywhere, can log in and fiddle with your pumps, chlorinators, lights, schedules, heater set temperatures, feature circuits, etc.

In my opinion, it's made even worse by the 6-digit hexadecimal names assigned to each Screenlogic Device Modified by TFP Mod. Default passwords are a massive security issue on any device, but especially things connected to the internet.

Please, change your default passwords. Not just on your ScreenLogic devices, but on anything connected to the internet! Or better yet, if you don't need to connect to your pool remotely through the app, limit its access to the internet through your router.

And lastly, if I connected to your pool, I'm sorry (though as far as I can tell there's no logging, so you'd probably never know anyway).

I know this has been posted before, years ago, but thought another friendly reminder might help someone out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up.

Or publishing on the Internet how to hack into ScreenLogic systems.

Reactions: ArtP
Hah, well it's not hard to figure out. But for most people who don't deal with cyber security, changing default passwords isn't usually something that comes to mind unless someone else points it out. And it's something that cyber security experts have been warning about for years, now that so many devices in our homes are connected to the internet.