Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hello - I really appreciate all the great info and resources on TFP! Last year, I replaced my main pool pump with a Pentair VSF. After learning how much energy pool pumps contribute to my monthly energy costs, this was a no-brainer. Last week, my wife noticed the connection union on the outflow fitting of my pump was leaking. After inspection, I noticed a hairline crack in the union nut. Probably over tightened during install (which I didn't do). After getting details to fix on my own, I noticed the intake union used was a Praher and the outflow from the pump was an OEM Pentair union. The Pentair union was the problem. So, I came to this site and searched on a way to repair this. I learned about how there are proprietary threads on various manufacturer unions and that I would probably have to cut pipe, reinstall a whole new union (not just the broken nut), and headed to Lowe's to get the supplies (2" 90 & 45 PVC fittings) and ordered replacement unions. What I also found out was that some people have had success with using a "split union coupling" for an easy repair. So, along with my replacement unions, I ordered a $6 "Magic Plastic" split union from Amazon for $6. I watched a YouTube video (look for guy getting his sandwich wet with the leak!:sneaky:) and decided to take a chance. If it didn't fit, I would return. I didn't have a lot of confidence given many folks have tried or used the wrong MP coupling with various thread orientations. In any event, worth a try. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that this solution worked and saved me not only money, but a heck of a lot of time. I was not able to find any confirmation on whether these split unions would work on my pump, but so far, so good. The MP part # is ‎0121109020. A good tip is to not tighten the screws fully until you've got the union hand tightened around the coupling. Then you tighten the screws down. Although some have encountered a break or leak using these less reliable solutions, I wanted to confirm these work for my Pentair VSF pump and many people have commented on similar success with these split union repairs. I'll keep an eye on it and for $6, think I'll order a spare for any issues going forward. I'm another customer dismayed that Pentair wouldn't design/create their own OEM,high quality split union for easy repairs like this. Just glad I came across Magic Plastic and their solution! Attached are a few pics of my OEM union (cut off using an oscillating tool) and the new MP split union installed. Hope this helps someone else in similar situation.

Attachments

• IMG_5389.jpeg
    IMG_5389.jpeg
    363.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5402.jpg
    IMG_5402.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5403.jpg
    IMG_5403.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5404.jpg
    IMG_5404.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.