Timboberonion

May 21, 2024
CANADA!!!!
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Howdy! new guy here, and I want to get this right. We are getting a new hardside pool, 18' diameter. Really stoked to get it set up!!

Questions I have:

We had a softside pool that we used interlocking soft foam 2'x2' tiles wth taped seams as a base. Are these appropriate for a hardside, assuming i trim them to fit inside the tracks? Would hard foamboard be better? My wife likes a soft feel to the bottom if possible. We could custom trim a gorilla pad to put on the foamboard for a bit of softness I suppose?

Since we live in a frozen wasteland, is there any way to leave it set up, and at least partly filled year round? We do have a massive wood boiler that we heat the pool with in the summer, and I suppose we could keep it above freezing with it in the winter. We do get to -40 celcius at times.

Any helpful tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!

Any of the above you noted should work for a base. Yes, trim to the inside tracks and you should be fine. If the pool has vertical support posts, those will need to be on a solid base to keep them stable, but that's about it. Some people use large pavers, others large planks of wood trimmed to fit. Of course the big thing with any AGP ... level-level-level. Yes, you can keep the pool up through the winter. Below is an article about prepping your AGP so you can look it over in advance. Hope that helps.

Howdy! new guy here, and I want to get this right. We are getting a new hardside pool, 18' diameter. Really stoked to get it set up!!

Questions I have:

We had a softside pool that we used interlocking soft foam 2'x2' tiles wth taped seams as a base. Are these appropriate for a hardside, assuming i trim them to fit inside the tracks? Would hard foamboard be better? My wife likes a soft feel to the bottom if possible. We could custom trim a gorilla pad to put on the foamboard for a bit of softness I suppose?

Since we live in a frozen wasteland, is there any way to leave it set up, and at least partly filled year round? We do have a massive wood boiler that we heat the pool with in the summer, and I suppose we could keep it above freezing with it in the winter. We do get to -40 celcius at times.

Any helpful tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!
Your bottom track and the support flanges for your upright posts need to be on solid support. The track on compacted ground, and the posts on concrete pavers. Get good ones, not cheap thin ones. You want them supported.

Your pool can stay up and full all year long. Mine freezes over the winter with no ill effects. You do have to winterize the pool - basically making it so water does not get into the parts where if it freezes it can break them - such as the skimmer and plumbing lines. It's not difficult at all. Texas Splash gave you a good link. People lower the water in their pools to different levels when winterizing. I drop my water to just below the skimmer intake, but others go even lower.