Surprise, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi there! New to the forum and hoping for some advice from other people who have built/owned homes with pools. I know very little about pools having never owned or lived in a house with a pool l, so in getting bids from a few local pool builders in Phoenix area , I am somewhat overwhelmed. Most of the quotes are within $5k-$10k of each other with the exception of one, but even the cheapest is kind of at the top of my budget.

Some things that i could adjust to improve the cost of the project are the type of pool decking/coping (acrylic lace Vs travertine) and whether to get an in-floor cleaning system Vs a suction pool cleaner. Other options that are adding to the cost are a water feature and smart phone automation for lights and control of the water feature.

I’d really like to get a pool for my new house, but don’t want to spend more than I can afford and don’t want to have regrets about not getting certain features. Can anyone give me feedback on some of my options to help me decide which options might be best on my tight budget.

Here are the basics of my design that are common for all of the pool builds in my small yard:

- 75’ permitter rectangular pool- roughly 28’x9’ fee, 3-5 foot depth, Baja shelf in one end and bench in deeper end, pebble sheen interior, and a small wall water feature .

My original design before I saw the cost was to try to build a pool similar to a client’s pool of mine with a similar small yard which included the above basic design and having travertine coping and decking that would extend up and over my existing patio. The build would also have an in-floor cleaning system.

Well with one pool builder it was significantly more expensive to do the travertine so we switched the coping and decking to Acrylic Lace.

For another pool builder he said switching to the acrylic lace wouldn’t make his build cheaper and said I could take out the in floor cleaning system and do a suction cleaning system (Aquanaut suction side pool cleaner) to cut costs.

Another option is to lose the water feature.

So I guess what I need help deciding are the following:

For my small size pool that I will be trying to maintain myself without a pool service, do I go in-floor cleaning system or suction side cleaner? Two of the pool builders said I will probably really want the in floor cleaning if I don’t have a pool service. Another said he thought the suction cleaner would work fine and didn’t think I needed the in-floor pop up system based on the lack of debris that I would have falling into my pool and it’s size. Another builder said I could do either and both would work well for me but if it were him having worked on pools all over the city, he would probably do the in floor system .

For decking and coping- do I do the acrylic lace or the travertine? What are peoples thoughts on the two? I have heard travertine is nice because it doesn’t get as hot in Arizona summer sun. To me it also looks nicer. But some people say it is really slippery.

Another consideration I have is this, salt system or not. One of the pool builders doesn’t offer a salt system. Only one quote I have includes the salt system.

Any feedback appreciated. Thanks!

Attached are photos of my friend’s pool so you can see the design I was going for.

Attachments

• 3B38A28E-B4A0-419A-8128-850B2C8AB981.jpeg
    3B38A28E-B4A0-419A-8128-850B2C8AB981.jpeg
    599.2 KB · Views: 58
  • BEA4ECB4-9552-43C7-A6D3-4EEF5051CD9F.jpeg
    BEA4ECB4-9552-43C7-A6D3-4EEF5051CD9F.jpeg
    636.4 KB · Views: 63
  • E21A75E4-B940-4DD1-82D3-24ECA2A22072.jpeg
    E21A75E4-B940-4DD1-82D3-24ECA2A22072.jpeg
    630.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 30304192-83C5-4C2D-B6DB-3C0587C93705.jpeg
    30304192-83C5-4C2D-B6DB-3C0587C93705.jpeg
    637.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 16C2C737-425C-42B5-9716-5488CA56E115.jpeg
    16C2C737-425C-42B5-9716-5488CA56E115.jpeg
    428.8 KB · Views: 55
Red,

I have a waterfall wall that I just "had to have" and now I find I never use it. Too noisy for my little back yard.

Ask yourself what are you going to use the sun deck for??? It just makes a small pool smaller. I am just saying make sure you will use it before buying one.

I have concrete decking and it is ok, but if I had to do it over I'd get pavers. Just a much better look.

I currently have three saltwater pools. If I built another 1,000 pools they would all be saltwater pools. If you plan to take care of the pool yourself, then going with a saltwater pool will make it 'almost' care free. Well, that and the help you will get from TFP... :mrgreen:

I am not a fan of In Floor Cleaning Systems (IFCS). I am also not much of a fan of suction side or pressure side cleaners, as they all need to pump running to work. I use electric powered robots to clean my pools. That is not to say that we don't have plenty of members that love their IFCS.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I installed my pool a year ago.

If I had it to do over, I'd skip the lights, We never turn them on. The main drain, never use it, only a submersible pump. The waterfalls and wall associated with it, too much of a pain to keep clean and sanitary.

I would do 2 skimmers, and 3 or 4 returns. Definitely a swcg, and an auto cover.

the less holes and pipes, the better.

Reactions: PJinFrance
what are peoples thoughts Vs travertine coping and decking Vs acrylic lace?

Here are my options for similar price (all options have pebble sheen interior, same size pool)

Option 1-
AquaNaut Pool Cleaner with 25’ dedicated suction line, Hayward Skimmer w/2” plumbing, 3 returns, Tristan 900 1.85 VSP; acrylic lace coping and decking, 3’ water feature.- cost including tax is approx $49K-$50K. Not sure what it would be if I added the salt system. Could remove water feature and save $2K.

Option 2-
Aquanaut suction side cleaner, travertine coping and decking, water feature, 4 returns , Hayward triststar 1.85 HP VS pump. They also can do some of my landscaping around pool that option 1 doesn’t offer. Does not offer salt system if I wanted one. Cost (including tax) is $52-53k. Could remove water feature and save $800.

Option 3-
IC-30 salt system, acrylic lace coping/decking, 3’ water feature, Q-360 Ulitmate in-floor system, VSF-3 IntelliFlo 1.5 HP pump. Not sure what cost would be if changed the in-floor to something else. Cost including tax is $52K. (Could take out water feature maybe to save $3K)

Option 4- MagnaSweep V Force In-floor cleaning system, acrylic lace decking and coping, 3HP IntelliFlo VSP, no water feature, build of equipment wall to hide equipment/pumps. Cost including tax- $55.5K

Option 4 seems too expensive compared to other options. Having hard time deciding between 1,2 and 3.

I installed my pool a year ago.

If I had it to do over, I'd skip the lights, We never turn them on. The main drain, never use it, only a submersible pump. The waterfalls and wall associated with it, too much of a pain to keep clean and sanitary.

I would do 2 skimmers, and 3 or 4 returns. Definitely a swcg, and an auto cover.

the less holes and pipes, the better.
What do you mean by an autocover? Do I need one in AZ? How much do those cost?

What is acrylic lace? I've never heard of this. *Google tells me it's a concrete coating, not a coping medium. So I'm gonna assume they mean they're giving you concrete coping and then treating it with the polycoating. Ask them what you save by leaving the concrete raw.

If I'm picking only your provided options, I'm going with #3. But you could easily delete your in floor cleaning system and run a dedicated suction line for relative pennies. The trick with an IFCS is they HAVE to be installed by skilled PBs or they're a waste of money at best and cause discoloration at worst. When they're good, they're great. If they're less than good, you'll wish you never did it.

Stick with Pentair (equipment in Opt 3). We service every major brand and I just don't find any other equipment to be as solid.

You mentioned the IC-30, but not an automation system. So presumably you're just getting the cell and a transformer. I'd highly recommend trading your spend on the IFCS for the Intellicenter automation.

Waterfalls are a nice feature. If you want to have that option, but don't want to spend it today, just run a line during the build and cap it. You can add that feature your friend has whenever down the line.

Automatic covers are a vinyl pool cover built into your pool just below your coping. They recess into a vault and hideaway. They help with safety (kids, drunk people), reduce evaporation, reduce chemical degradation, and prevent debris like leaves and sand from entering when not in use. They start around $10k. So your budget doesn't have the room.

Another large cost variable is the finish. You said pebble sheen on all; why not a plaster/quarts mix? This is a solid choice while being budget-friendly.

I have many pebble pools and they're like swimming in a bowl made of sandpaper. Guests rip their skin off in them all the time. We don't have this issue with our quarts or plain plaster pools nearly as often. This is my humble experience though. Pebble is a very popular finish and is indeed high quality and long lasting. It's also usually spendy.

Last edited:
If you go the owner build route you will find you can get a lot more pool for a lot less. I wouldn’t splurge on in floor cleaning. A robotic pool cleaner will be superior to in floor cleaning.

Since you’re in AZ there are a handful of local CAD designers who you can hire to put together your pools plans. Basically everything you need to submit permits yourself.

All the subs know each other and work together so it’s very easy to get several bids from the different trades.

With your design 9’ seems very small in width. If you have wiggle room to go up I would.

Our pool design is very similar to your proposed pool. While we went with travertine coping, we used scored concrete for the patio around the pool. Basically they poured the concrete patio using a rock salt finish and came back and scored it in big rectangles with a concrete saw. That would probably be less expensive vs. the concrete coating.
We used a simple quartz-based plaster finish for our pool - Oyster Quartz - as we wanted the classic pool look.
You may want to adjust your pool depths maybe to a 4‘ - 5 1/2’ or 4’ to 6’ depth.
We went with a simple robot cleaner on our pool - I would recommend that or a suction side cleaner.
And definitely go with a saltwater chlorine generator - they make maintaining a pool so much easier particularly with today’s liquid chlorine shortages/cost.

Good luck, Mark

In our climate, I wish I had done the following.
Simple rectangle. Depths as you wish but lots of benches so when you sit on them the water comes to your shoulders. Auto Cover. Small Heater. Evaporative Chiller. SWCG. Softened water for fill water. Cleaner likely robot but a suction side would work too with auto cover.

I have the tracks mounted under the coping. It cost around 13k I think.

After having it, I wouldn't own a pool without it. Temperature remains consistent ( we heat our pool all summer ), clean, and balanced easily.

We adjust the swg up to 60% when the cover is open, and lower it to 8% when its closed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is acrylic lace? I've never heard of this. *Google tells me it's a concrete coating, not a coping medium. So I'm gonna assume they mean they're giving you concrete coping and then treating it with the polycoating. Ask them what you save by leaving the concrete raw.

If I'm picking only your provided options, I'm going with #3. But you could easily delete your in floor cleaning system and run a dedicated suction line for relative pennies. The trick with an IFCS is they HAVE to be installed by skilled PBs or they're a waste of money at best and cause discoloration at worst. When they're good, they're great. If they're less than good, you'll wish you never did it.

Stick with Pentair (equipment in Opt 3). We service every major brand and I just don't find any other equipment to be as solid.

You mentioned the IC-30, but not an automation system. So presumably you're just getting the cell and a transformer. I'd highly recommend trading your spend on the IFCS for the Intellicenter automation.

Waterfalls are a nice feature. If you want to have that option, but don't want to spend it today, just run a line during the build and cap it. You can add that feature your friend has whenever down the line.

Automatic covers are a vinyl pool cover built into your pool just below your coping. They recess into a vault and hideaway. They help with safety (kids, drunk people), reduce evaporation, reduce chemical degradation, and prevent debris like leaves and sand from entering when not in use. They start around $10k. So your budget doesn't have the room.

Another large cost variable is the finish. You said pebble sheen on all; why not a plaster/quarts mix? This is a solid choice while being budget-friendly.

I have many pebble pools and they're like swimming in a bowl made of sandpaper. Guests rip their skin off in them all the time. We don't have this issue with our quarts or plain plaster pools nearly as often. This is my humble experience though. Pebble is a very popular finish and is indeed high quality and long lasting. It's also usually spendy.
Almost all the pool builders said most people want Pebble interior. One said it was “the industry standard”, but there is the option of the plain plaster if you think that is better.

So would the salt system be hard to operate/control, maintain the pool myself without the intellicenter?

A lot of older TFP posts bash in-floor cleaning systems. You say they work great when put in by the pool builder when they work. When do they not work well? I know I can’t add an in-floor system later if I don’t get it, so I want to make sure I don’t need it/won’t regret not choosing it if I opt for something else. Should I ask instead about a robot cleaner instead? I asked one pool builder about it and he said out east they use the robots more. Lots of people here seem to like that kind.

And by Acrylic Lace, yes it is concrete covered with acrylic . I had my heart set on the travertine around pool and for additional decking and overlay on my plain concrete patio that came with the house die a uniform look, the cost for it was going to be a lot more expensive if I had it for anything except the 12” coping around pool. But maybe I don’t need the travertine. The concrete with acrylic coating didn’t seem horrible , but didn’t look quite as nice as the travertine.

I’m down the road in Tucson and after knowing very little about pools we had one put into our little yard and it’s been great. Just my two cents: we are happy with the acrylic lace and had it done over the patio as well. I think the swg should be something you strongly consider. We are very happy with the infloor cleaning system as well but only time will tell how it does long term. Aside from the construction phase make sure you start studying up on how to take care of the pool should you decide to move forward. This place is an amazing resource and will definitely get you on the right track

The IFCS will require parts over time. I seem to replace my gear module about every 3-4 years. Its about 250 bucks. Easy to change, but kinda sucks its a part designed to wear out. If you have to replace a pop-up they are about 90 bucks each. The IFCS also may have some "dead" spots. The brochures say it is something like 95% effective at cleaning as long as its set up right. The Aquanaut 200 I have is also great at cleaning the pool but you have the hose in your pool and kind of a pain to remove and put back in once you are done swimming.

How much are they charging you for cleaner (the aquanaut)? I imagine they have a markup on it. They usually run about 450 bucks on Amazon with the attachments and hoses. The robot cleaner is about 1k or more depending on what type it is from my research. How much does the IFCS cost?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.