New Pool owner and sick of pool shop advise!

rjackson87

Gold Supporter
May 16, 2024
New Lenox - Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
New pool owner here! We've had our pool over a year now in Illinois south of Chicago. The installation finished in October of 2022 where we had a few days to swim prior to the pool company closing it up. We were so excited in 2023 we wanted to be the first to open, and had the pool company open us sometime in early April. Through all of 2023 I was trying to figure out the chemistry and maintenance as I didn't get much of a crash course on what to do, and what I did get a course on was quickly forgot over the winter months. Most of the learning in 2023 was from pool stores and some other pool folks in the subdivision to try to keep my water clear.

It was clear almost the whole year, but I had to continually keep my super chlorinator on and regular muratic acid to keep it clear. Well near the end of the year the intellicenter had a firmware upgrade which disabled the super chlorinator and my water quickly went cloudy, and I couldn't figure out how to keep it clear even using the pool shops advise. I just kept buying products which failed to maintain a clear pool which resulted in the pool closing cloudy by the pool company who said it will just open cloudy.

Now in 2024 since opening in April again I poured tons of chemicals in trying the same pool shop advise, but after talking to some friends they mentioned TFP. I'm really feeling like this will be the turning point for me, and already purchased the TF PRO Salt kit with the SLAM option, Taylor K-1515 kit, and a TON of liquid chlorine. The reason I purchased the K-1515 kit is because it was going to be here quicker so I could start monitoring the SLAM process to finally get this clean clear!

Well I got a little impatient and started pouring chlorine in to get the levels up using the kits I had available to me and pool math as the chems were in the right params for starting SLAM. I'm 2 days into it and the pool is getting more clear! the K-1515 kit will be delivered today and I plan to monitor even more using that vs what I have now because I don't think it's reading properly (test strips keep saying 0 FC, drops in the kit I had show above 3.0, and waterguru says .5). I'm struggling to figure out which I want to believe, and I think the drops are my best "guess" right now.

I keep pouring in a gallon of chlorine throughout the day as it's been super sunny, brushing the walls, cleaning the filters, skimming everything, and running both of my pumps (pool and water features) to keep water moving and filtering. I also added some DE to the sand filter to try to speed up the process.

Looking forward to learning as much as I can, and getting that sparkly water!

I've attached some pictures of my equipment, pool, and progress so far. Just noticed the foaming today which seems to happen more so with the waterfalls and bubblers on. It is getting more clear though :)

IMG_0664.JPGIMG_0665.JPGIMG_0666.jpgIMG_0669.jpgIMG_0672.jpgIMG_0674.jpgIMG_0673.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum!
Good choice to get a quality test kit.
When you get your kit, run a full suite of tests and post them here.
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool
Thank you! Already started, I'm almost through all the pool care basic reads and watched a few of the videos. The information is AMAZING! I really appreciate what TFP has put together here.

After reading some of the forum posts I'm almost thinking my salt cell may be undersized, but I think that's a figure it out alter thing once SLAM finishes up :).

Alright... one complaint/suggestion I got and it may not even be valid. I missed seeing the support TFP page prior to purchasing the TF Test kit. I'm assuming it's a related site to TFP, but I would have donated for sure if I saw it there during checkout or anything. I've gotten plenty of info here to where I feel I have to support.

Alright... one complaint/suggestion I got and it may not even be valid. I missed seeing the support TFP page prior to purchasing the TF Test kit. I'm assuming it's a related site to TFP, but I would have donated for sure if I saw it there during checkout or anything. I've gotten plenty of info here to where I feel I have to support.
Maybe @Sarah and Nate can do something retroactively? If not, you can save your coupon for the kit refill you'll need in the future. Thank you for being a gold supporter. I guess you're committed now. :p

Welp my fas-dpd kit showed up so I ran outside excited to check... and my FC was 4.5 CC is 3.5. I'm gonna fix PH and ALK I think since I don't even appear to be in SLAM mode now and my PH is way off at 8.2, ALK 263, CYA 46, SALT 3500.

When I started SLAM my PH was 7.2, ALK 235, CYA 46, SALT 3500.

Gonna get her to SLAM pre-req. range and then hit it hard again... I don't understand how it dropped so fast unless I got some nasty bug in there.

I poured tons of chemicals in trying the same pool shop advise,
Someone call me? Looks like it...You've successfully joined #TeamPoolStored. Congrats!

Slam on! Slam will take care of the foam and clean that right up...

Share lots of progress pictures! Inspiration for you...Link-->How Clear is TFP Clear?

:nopic:

Reactions: newdude
Maybe @Sarah and Nate can do something retroactively? If not, you can save your coupon for the kit refill you'll need in the future. Thank you for being a gold supporter. I guess you're committed now. :p

Send me a PM with your gift certificate code or email it to me ([email protected]) and I’ll apply it to your order retroactively.
Nate @ TFT

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm gonna fix PH and ALK I think since I don't even appear to be in SLAM mode now and my PH is way off at 8.2, ALK 263, CYA 46, SALT 3500.
Recheck your notes on the test results. Maybe these are old results...

On your TA (ALK) test, the result should be a multiple of 10 if you used a 25 mL sample.

The CYA test should also be a multiple of 10. If the result is between lines on the cylinder, round up. If you're seeing 46 ppm, call it 50 ppm.

The salt test result should be a multiple of 200.

A CC of 3.5 is unusually high. Tell us if you have added any non chlorine 'shock'?
Liquid as of late but I was adding HTH Pool Care Shock Advanced before starting or reading about TFP. Was told liquid isn't as good by pool store... I'm assuming because the price is less or something.

Last edited:
Recheck your notes on the test results. Maybe these are old results...

On your TA (ALK) test, the result should be a multiple of 10 if you used a 25 mL sample.

The CYA test should also be a multiple of 10. If the result is between lines on the cylinder, round up. If you're seeing 46 ppm, call it 50 ppm.

The salt test result should be a multiple of 200.
I'm reading the Salt level off the Pentair thing - the times I checked before it was accurate. It's showing 3600 now -- I may have missed it.

TA (ALK) Test was done with the waterguru. I just did it again with Pentair R151186 4-Way All-in-One OTO Test Kit and was reading 180.

TY for the note on CYA I'll round up to 50.

Do you have the test kit...or just FAS/DPD kit?:scratch:
Just FAS/DPD right now. Waiting for the full test kit should be here Monday. Then doing the full test.

Right now pool is super clear. Focusing on getting ph and alk back into a good spot using the droppers i have for that from the pentair kit which is supposedly a small taylor kit.

Once i get that 100% dialed in. I’m gonna do the OCLT to see if something nasty is there. Then SLAM if there is. I think thats the right approach?

Once i get that 100% dialed in. I’m gonna do the OCLT to see if something nasty is there
Ensure you have FC in there above 3. Most of us like 8 or so. Then OCLT.

*then* we have time to dial everything in if you pass.

If you fail, then a proper SLAM Process is in order, then 100% dialing in.

Reactions: rjackson87

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support