New AGP with Powerline XP I double insulated pump - is bonding required?

May 6, 2014
Worcester, MA
Hello,

I recently replaced my old 15' round AGP with a 16x24 Doughboy. I also got a new filter and pump - the pump is a Powerline XP I, which is double insulated.

My previous pool was bonded, but I have read that double insulated pumps do not require bonding. I found this exception in the NEC code 680.26(B):
Exception: Metal parts of listed equipment incorporating an approved system of double insulation shall not be bonded.
  1. Double-Insulated Water Pump Motors. Where a double-insulated water pump motor is installed under the provisions of this rule, a solid 8 AWG copper conductor of sufficient length to make a bonding connection to a replacement motor.....
My question is: Can I save myself a ton of money on supplies and labor for an electrician and skip the bonding wire installation if I do not plan on replacing the pump with a NON double insulated pump?

Thanks,
Lisa

Even if the pump is exempt, you still have to bond the pool and provide a bond wire to be available for any new motor that requires a bond.

Double-Insulated Water Pump Motors.

Where a double-insulated water pump motor is installed under the provisions of this rule, a solid 8 AWG copper conductor of sufficient length to make a bonding connection to a replacement motor shall be extended from the swimming pool equipotential bonding means to an accessible point in the vicinity of the pool pump motor.

Where there is no connection between the swimming pool equipotential bonding means and the equipment grounding system for the premises, this bonding conductor shall be connected to the equipment grounding conductor of the motor circuit.

Thank you.

So, if I plan to never use a new motor that requires a bond, I do not have to provide a bond wire?
But your pool itself needs to be bonded, correct? Regardless of whether or not your pump is exempt.