Prosper, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I've brought up this issue before, and ultimately concluded that because my plaster is new, my pH levels rise quickly and thus the cycle of adding acid every two days isn't unusual.

My pool opened in March 2023, and I can't help but remain bewildered and concerned with how fast my pH rises. If you look at my most recent Pool Math logs as of today, you'll see that 19 hours ago (on 4/11/2024), I added roughly 20oz of MA to bring my pH from 8.2 to 7.5. Then, less than 24 hours later on 4/12, I tested pH again and we're back up to 8.2 (it's probably actually 8.0 but my tftestkits comparator isn't granular enough).

Again: I do not have any sheers, slides, or bubblers running. The only automation I have is to run spillover mode for 20 minutes twice a day to cycle chlorine in the spa. And given the current water temperature, no one is using the pool.

Isn't it weird for pH to go from 7.5 to 8.2 in less than 24 hours? I can't help but feel like I'm doing something horribly wrong, although I'm not sure what that could be. The only other thing I'll point out is that I notice some marks/discoloration on my plaster on the deep end where I consistently pour MA. I make sure to brush thoroughly immediately after I add it, to spread it around and prevent that issue. Seems unrelated to me, but I wanted to point it out just in case. I can take pics if needed.

What you’re experiencing is not unusual. You’re not doing anything wrong.
Keep bring it back to mind 7’s when it rises to 8-8.2 every couple days or so as you are now.

I have to ask….
Are you pouring ma slowly (pencil sized stream) in front of a running return away from the pool wall?

Reactions: voidpointer
You are not doing anythings wrong.

Some plaster pools have more stable pH then others.

I wonder if your calcium nodule problem in your other thread may point to some issues in your plaster that may also affect your pH. Wait and see how that gets resolved.

It's not you and you just need to deal with the pool environment you have.

I've brought up this issue before, and ultimately concluded that because my plaster is new, my pH levels rise quickly and thus the cycle of adding acid every two days isn't unusual.

My pool opened in March 2023, and I can't help but remain bewildered and concerned with how fast my pH rises. If you look at my most recent Pool Math logs as of today, you'll see that 19 hours ago (on 4/11/2024), I added roughly 20oz of MA to bring my pH from 8.2 to 7.5. Then, less than 24 hours later on 4/12, I tested pH again and we're back up to 8.2 (it's probably actually 8.0 but my tftestkits comparator isn't granular enough).

Again: I do not have any sheers, slides, or bubblers running. The only automation I have is to run spillover mode for 20 minutes twice a day to cycle chlorine in the spa. And given the current water temperature, no one is using the pool.

Isn't it weird for pH to go from 7.5 to 8.2 in less than 24 hours? I can't help but feel like I'm doing something horribly wrong, although I'm not sure what that could be. The only other thing I'll point out is that I notice some marks/discoloration on my plaster on the deep end where I consistently pour MA. I make sure to brush thoroughly immediately after I add it, to spread it around and prevent that issue. Seems unrelated to me, but I wanted to point it out just in case. I can take pics if needed.
Can try taking your TA down to 50/60 and slow the pH rise more.

I have to ask….
Are you pouring ma slowly (pencil sized stream) in front of a running return away from the pool wall?
I used to do that, but then I read somewhere that some people pour faster but brush after. So I opted for the latter, mainly for two reasons: 1) It's easier for me to "eyeball" an amount when I pour faster and 2) I'm admittedly too lazy to wait the 30 seconds it requires to pour that slow.

Maybe the brushing isn't enough, but I don't know why it wouldn't be...

Pool wall: Hard to get away from it when I have to stand on the edge to pour. I'm probably 1ft away from the pool wall when I pour it from the jug.

And targeting a 7.8 ?
I do target 7.8 but I don't always hit that mark, probably because I am not actually measuring the MA I pour in because I guestimate.

Reactions: Newdude
If you are pouring the acid in very fast, it likely is impacting the plaster before you get the brush to it. It is pretty much instantaneous impact if high baume acid hits concrete (plaster).

Reactions: Mdragger88
If you are pouring the acid in very fast, it likely is impacting the plaster before you get the brush to it. It is pretty much instantaneous impact if high baume acid hits concrete (plaster).
That explains it, then. I assumed I had at least 5-10 seconds to get the brush going before it did anything. I'll probably just start measuring out the acid then so I can pour it slowly (probably ~30 seconds). If the acid doesn't get pushed out by the return, with a slow stream it should dissipate before it reaches the bottom of the pool, right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I brush/stir while pouring into the return stream. Brush in the left hand and chem (acid or bleach) in the right hand. Then brush the floor/wall afterwards.
What kind of brush do you use? The only one I have is the super long brush with the whale fin on it. It's definitely not for one handed use...

I got the ProTuff brush for Christmas and just started using it. It works as well or better then the 6 (?) I have ever tried.

With their forever, no questions asked warranty, I should never need another manufacturers brush.

If I wear it out fair and square, I'll pay for another one. I'm not a jerk like that. If it breaks or wears out not fair and square, I'll have them replace it.

On my pool with TA over 60, I see pH rise within ~24 hours or so. Not uncommon at all.
Once I get my TA down to 50-60, it almost stops. But I have high TA well water, so I fight TA all summer.

Atwood's is the best source of MA I've found in DFW - half the price of HD.

What kind of brush do you use? The only one I have is the super long brush with the whale fin on it. It's definitely not for one handed use...
Cheapo hydrotools aluminum pole with a walmart special on the end.
I pivot it on the edge of the pool.
Friends Lol GIF by Max

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
On my pool with TA over 60, I see pH rise within ~24 hours or so. Not uncommon at all.
Once I get my TA down to 50-60, it almost stops. But I have high TA well water, so I fight TA all summer.

Atwood's is the best source of MA I've found in DFW - half the price of HD.
Man you aren't kidding. $5.50 per gallon is amazing. Too bad there are none close by. I've always known Atwood's to be a country town thing. I guess I'll keep buying my overpriced 20 baum at Lowe's :-(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support