Looking for possible answers

kdwrenn

Mar 1, 2024
TEXAS
I have a 27' round pool, I live in Texas and purchased my pool from a pool company, yes I was dooped. Anyways, the pool has a sand filter. I have replaced the pump 3 times now but that's another story. I was advised by the pool company that this was basically a chemical free pool, to use bleach and not the normal pool chemicals, They said a gallon of bleach a week blah blah well after reading all the literature after installation it advised 3 gallons of bleach a week so I followed that information after all that's what the directions said. We'll after replacing the 1st pump after it froze in the winter I noticed I had a leak, long story short I allowed the pool to drain and found that all the way around the bottom of the pool by the walls the liner was literally full of small holes there was no grass or anything trying to grow up in the liner at all to me it looks like possibly from walking around the pool weekly pouring bleach into the pool and even though there are thousands of gallons of water in the pool it is as if the bleach damaged the bottom of the pool by the walls all the way around where eventually the bottom of the pool totally separated from the walls. I am at a complete loss on what could have happened and it did not appear to be a seam problem . So I thought I would pick your brains

Thanks in advance for any replies, now I am in search of a new liner so also looking for recommendations for that.

Bleach is OK to use but all other aspects of the pool's chemistry need to be looked after as well. I typically put bleach/liquid chlorine into the pool when the pump is running and make sure it hits the return flow of the water coming out of the filter to mix well. Although I have never had this issue I have heard of ants and termites possibly putting holes in a liner. Is there a sand or foam cove around the bottom of the pool where the liner meets the wall and floor?

Buying a pool from a local pool company doesn't always = duped. The one thing they need to do to stay in business is sell product and they certainly don't subscribe to the TFP way of taking care of a pool. Here's the basics of how to take care of pools the TFP way: Pool Care Basics Archives. I bought my pool from a local store any I got what I think is a good buy for what I got, I do not go to the store to buy anything - I use the knowledge from this site.

If it is insects, if/when you get a new liner maybe put down bug/ant/termite killer.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I'm not sure sure the holes were a result of chemicals. At least not yet until you can post a full set of water test results from either a TF-Series test kit or a Taylor K-2006C. Where in TX are you? In my area around San Antonio, fire ants are horrific and will chew through anything. A little vinyl is nothing. So if the area wasn't prepped well or insecticide/granules used consistently, that could be an issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.