Jun 3, 2022
Louisville, KY, USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi TFPeers!

I have a plan to repair the liner for an in-ground pool and would like to run it by those with more experience than I have. I have read many of the forums posts and further reading materials here. We would not have ever done as well as we have for the past several years without these resources. We are very grateful.

The return had been patched with silicone by the previous owner and held for several years. We suspected a leak at this return, and I removed the excess silicone and return face plate to discover what you can see in the attached picture.

My repair plan is as follows.

1. Release the liner from the above track enough to gain access behind the liner. The return is not that far down the pool wall.
2. Use the Boxer Adhesives Pool Repair products to glue large patches on each side of the vinyl liner (Welcome to Boxer Adhesives The Finest Name in Vinyl Adhesives).
3. The outcome should produce a solid-hole-free vinyl liner surface where one would proceed as though he were installing a return and face plate to a new liner.

My initial question is about the Boxer Adhesives products. They seem to be produced and marketed to owners with above-ground pools. Our pool is an in-ground pool. What would be the difference, if any?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20240430_161356 (1).jpg
    20240430_161356 (1).jpg
    899 KB · Views: 18
How pliable is the liner?
Depending on the age, it might be too brittle & just tear further.
That is a concern for me also. For the liner's age (2013) the feel is quite soft and pliable. From what I know of the previous owner and their maintenance habits, I don't see him as one who was throwing an abundance of shock in the pool. Also, this is Louisville, KY. The pool is opened in early June and closed early September (Labor Day). Compared to other regions/states, we don't get but a few months of pool fun. Kentucky has types of clouds like Eskimos have types of snow all year round.

Now, when I removed the face plate, I noticed how much the liner has faded. That surprised me considering how good the liner feels to the touch - flexibility and all. Also, the liner around the screw holes of the face plate and return are more brittle-like and hard. I'll trim that to make the area as flat as possible before patching and lower the risk of any punctures from hard places.

I'm aware of the risk of removing part of the liner from the track and tearing. We're prepared for a new pool liner. When I asked my husband, "Are we replacing the liner because it needs replacing or only because of the suspected leak at the return?" this question gave us pause on replacing the liner.

Thank you for responding. What would you do?

That is a concern for me also. For the liner's age (2013) the feel is quite soft and pliable. From what I know of the previous owner and their maintenance habits, I don't see him as one who was throwing an abundance of shock in the pool. Also, this is Louisville, KY. The pool is opened in early June and closed early September (Labor Day). Compared to other regions/states, we don't get but a few months of pool fun. Kentucky has types of clouds like Eskimos have types of snow all year round.

Now, when I removed the face plate, I noticed how much the liner has faded. That surprised me considering how good the liner feels to the touch - flexibility and all. Also, the liner around the screw holes of the face plate and return are more brittle-like and hard. I'll trim that to make the area as flat as possible before patching and lower the risk of any punctures from hard places.

I'm aware of the risk of removing part of the liner from the track and tearing. We're prepared for a new pool liner. When I asked my husband, "Are we replacing the liner because it needs replacing or only because of the suspected leak at the return?" this question gave us pause on replacing the liner.

Thank you for responding. What would you do?
I failed to write that the return face plate has a small crack at one screw hole and a hairline crack at another screw hole. I understand these are common especially if overtightened and leads to leaks.
Thanks!

If you have more of the liner material, I would suggest "patching" a piece of that material over the liner and return......allowing 2-3 " all around.

Even if you don't have any of the same liner, I would do it with plain white pool liner. Patching the liner is a fairly easy fix.

Be sure to replace the cracked gaskets.

If you have more of the liner material, I would suggest "patching" a piece of that material over the liner and return......allowing 2-3 " all around.

Even if you don't have any of the same liner, I would do it with plain white pool liner. Patching the liner is a fairly easy fix.

Be sure to replace the cracked gaskets.

I wondered about that too. Would actual pool liner as a patch perform better than the vinyl patch provided by Boxer Adhesives or other kits? If I'm understanding what you're implying, actual pool liner as a patch is better.

I'm already on board with replacements . . . Hayward SPX1408B Return Inlet Face Plate and Hayward SPX1408C Inlet Gasket G-226. Ordered and on the way.

Thanks!