Northville, Mi
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My 13th year with this pool and this is the first time this has happened. I just had the liner replaced two years ago. I contacted the installer who said "Your water level is too high it pushed the beading out" and said it should be "really easy" to put it back and then lower the water. Well, it wasn't. And of course, this is the "busiest time of the year". Setting aside my irritation over that...

What causes this? My water has been higher than it was at opening this year.
What will it take to fix it?
And what can I do to keep it from getting worse until I can get this guy back out here or even do it myself?

Liner Loose.jpg

Massage it back into place from either end towards the middle. The friction from your fingers will probably warm it enough to stretch the little bit it needs.

Then buy 120ft of liner lock and wrap the whole pool. (Under $30 on Amazon). It takes 5 mins to push in by hand and if there's any tight spots, use a block of wood and a rubber mallot to give it a little extra push.

Check the bottom of this link for a visual on how the liner seats itself, and also how liner lock wedges it in there.

OMG. Is that something that most of the time an installer would do anyway? I wonder if I had it with the previous install and he never bothered this time.

Hopefully some good sun will loosen that liner up today and I'll give it a shot later.

Reactions: newdude
It should be standard on every install, or professionally maintained pool IMO. The service folks pop pieces back in here and there all the gol darn time. They're already on site for the weekly cleaning and 4 mins of labor isn't a cash cow. Nor will $30 break the builders profit, and he likely gets it cheaper than we can.

Instead, they both get repeat issues with upset customers. I don't get it.

On the plus side, it's about the easiest thing you can DIY, and on the cheap.

It should be standard on every install, or professionally maintained pool IMO. The service folks pop pieces back in here and there all the gol darn time. They're already on site for the weekly cleaning and 4 mins of labor isn't a cash cow. Nor will $30 break the builders profit, and he likely gets it cheaper than we can.

Man I hope you're right! I'll get a heat gun ready just in case! Ordered some of the liner lock already - should be here tomorrow.

The opposite side of that argument is, " I didn't ask you to touch my liner!"
"The liner is leaking and you were the last to work on it, I saw you!"
"There's a tear right where you touched my liner!" though I worked on the opposite side of the pool, or only on the equipment.
And on and on.

The vast majority of the service techs I know would gladly help a customer in the way you suggest, but the liability issues are just too great and in any arbitration or court case, "the customer is always right" is the prevailing result.

Most pool-service policies have an automatic $500.00 (deductible) cost to defend or settle any claim, even if it is decided in favor of the tech.
Makes "trying to do the right thing" not worth the risk in most cases. And once the customer knows you did something at no cost it is expected all the time, meaning that my knowledge and experience is worth nothing in their mind.
This is not an easy business.

For a good, long-time customer, I will do a lot of little things, like repair a minor leak that is not in the scope of work I bid, for no cost as it benefits us both, but I never tell the customer about it. For a new one, or one who doesn't really appreciate the work I do, not a chance, and those don't last long as my customer.

The opposite side of that argument is, " I didn't ask you to touch my liner!"
Point it out on the many that you know are healthy liners. Obviously don't go out of your way on a bleached and brittle mess.

And once the customer knows you did something at no cost it is expected all the time,
I fully believe they should be fairly paid, just that already being on-site doesn't make it an expensive task.

And if you're already fixing one as above, (and you're comfortable about the health of the liner), you should suggest to the customer you do the whole thing and not need to revisit it as other sections loosen.

So a pleasant update on all this. First, I treat people like they are people trying to make a living (as long as they aren't trying to screw me over, of course). You get what you give I suppose...

I got home from work and got my stuff and went down to the pool ready to tackle the issue. I look and, lo and behold, fixed! The installer who I had texted had come over today while I was at work and repaired it for me! That jerk robbed me of the "opportunity" to screw this up myself!! :ROFLMAO:

On the extra plus side, the liner lock will be going in this weekend. :)

IMG_20240516_164844_1.jpg

That jerk robbed me of the "opportunity" to screw this up myself!! :ROFLMAO:
People that did quality work in the first place, then stand behind it get future no bid jobs from me. I mean. They have to quote me, I have to agree and sign it, but I'm going to accept it no matter what it is.

This was not their fault and something that happens. But for $40 you never would have even realized they charged you at the install, it could have been liner locked on day 1.

My PB threw mine in for free when it was evident the days old liner had some loose spots. He should have charged and installed it in the first place.

Definitely agree on the liner lock but I'm beyond impressed he came out here, no charge, two years later, and fixed it. No fanfare, just did it. I've had WAY too many contractors (of all types, very much including pool guys!) that I ended up going out of my way telling people to avoid afterward. This is a good guy and, yep, earns return business.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support